Picaradin, Insect Repellant

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Picaradin, Insect Repellant

Post by BSquared »

FWIW, Consumer Reports testing showed picardin to be very slightly superior to DEET. Their picardin was Sawyer 20%, and the highest DEET concentration they tested was 30% (which was very nearly as effective as the Sawyer picardin). I've used the Sawyer here in Vermont, where the mossies can be pretty ferocious, and it seems to work fine. I've never had good luck with any of the eucalyptus-scented products, but one of those also did well in Consumer Reports' test (let me see... um... "Repel Lemon-Eucalyptus," I think).
—B²
epike
Topix Newbie

Post by epike »

Used Pic for 15 days on the JMT in July, seemed totally effective again skeeters except in one spot. not at all effective against flies.

-Ed
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

BSquared wrote:FWIW, Consumer Reports testing showed picardin to be very slightly superior to DEET.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Right.

Picardin worked slightly better than water for me....
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Yah, it's interesting how this seems to vary by individual. Most of the people on here report that it works pretty well to very well, but some, like AlmostThere find it ineffective. I wonder if it has something to do with the composition of people's individual perspiration, or something like that...
—B²
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

Lemon Eucalyptus
Funny story, about 8 years ago I went with 3 others into French Canyon, Mid July, right at the worst of the skeeter season. Once of the guys had brought the "Natural" Lemon Eucalyptus spray. It smelled really nice. The rest of us smelled like HAZMAT from the deet.

By day 2, we were all giving him a couple spritzes of deet, because while the Lemon Eucalyptus "Worked"... it apparently worked not as a "repellent" so much as a "Marinade" - once it soaked in for 15-20 minutes, he was ATTACKED. Poor guy had like 47 bites on ONE ARM.

It DID seem to work SOMEWHAT on clothing, hats, etc...

I know DEET works. I stick with DEET.