2016 Summer Hike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2016 Summer Hike

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Back in Cedar Grove. Complete success in the last section with even doing one extra peak. 8 done in 9 days since we came out early yesterday. Wifi still sucks here and rarely will load more than facebook. Not looking forward to having 14 days of food again but I'm sure we will survive.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Great job Rogue, and right on schedule. :) Can't wait to read your TR later this year about the last section you covered. Be safe, have fun.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Say hello from the summit of Jordan, should be around Reflection below you going up towards Longley on the 18th. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

At Lodgepole after our last long section of this trip. Wish we could have said hi from Jordan but it was the first peak we changed. First we took little joe pass instead of Lucy foot. We did torch bearer peak with caltech. While on genevra we decided we didn't want to climb the Sandy looking slopes. Instead after table we did milestone while crossing milestone pass. Had fun on Pants Pass in a thunderstorm when my trekking pole started buzzing and shocking my hand. We then went up to lion rock the second time for me and the next day did lion lake, coppermine, horn col and pterodactyl passes all in one day. Found 3 trekking poles while climbing coppermine peak so I put all 3 on the summit stretched out in their new role as lightning rods. So did 10 peaks in the last 14 days.

Time now to relax and tomorrow we head back to VVR.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Back out again. Last section went well. We cut one day short by doing the horrible traverse from Stanford to Huntington. Then we added in robber barren peak traversing from Hopkins. Did Crocker. Mike did red slate while we crossed mcgee pass. We did the unnamed peak and then skipped izaak Walton for bbq night at VVR. Now two days ahead of schedule we are going to climb Dana and Gibbs then do cathedral peak and head for bishop.
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

Rogue, sent you a pm
Safe/FUN travels to you and Mike
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

In bishop again. So close to the end now. Everything went as planned until North Palisade when both Mike and Derek were unable to climb the second chock stone no matter how hard they tried so I made the summit alone. Certainly was the most difficult climb up and down I ever did. I used pure friction between the walls. I have no idea what class that rock really is but Mike has done 5.6 and could not make it.

Today with the ugly bit of weather we did not do Giraud Peak. But all looks good to go do humphreys and Middle palisade making 42 peaks for me and 44 for Mike on this trip.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Glad you are back safe and successful. What route did you do on North Palisade?
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

We did the LeConte Route.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I did the LeConte route also and avoided the chockstones by climbing on the wall to the left. I did have rock shoes, which made it a lot easier. I would call it low 5th, maybe 5.3. With boots it would be a lot harder. We also had ropes so rappelled down. I would not have liked to downclimb that section. The route is officially classfied as Class 4. But in the days when that route was rated, "Class 4" included everything up to 5.5.