Wolf howl vs Coyote howl

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Wolf howl vs Coyote howl

Post by Wandering Daisy »

A wolf circled me on one of my trips this summer in Wyoming. I can say it was a lot prettier than a coyote but it never "howled". The last trip, I heard a chorus of howls across the valley. There are both coyotes and wolves here. Since I have never heard a wolf howl, what is the difference? The howling sounded a little lower key than coyotes but had that sort of bark at the end. I did not think wolves do that.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wolf howl vs Coyote howl

Post by Jimr »

http://wolfpark.org/animals/sounds/

I've never heard a wolf howl in person either. My roommate lives in Idaho half of the time. We were talking about this the other day. He describes it as one of the purest and cleanest sounds he's ever heard. FWIW.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks Jim! It could have been wolves! That first recording does have the "barking" sound. Wolves are in the area and it was at about 11,000 feet. Not sure coyotes go that high. They brought in the wolves to cull the overpopulated elk. There are herds of up to 2000 elk. There are so many wolves now that the G&F do not even care about sightings anymore.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

coyotes do go that high, even in the Sierra. Watched one at precisely that altitude, chasing a doe and fawn along a ridge line. I love it when you get to watch them play.. Deer made it away safely...
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Have seen coyote near Tulainyo Lake which is at 12,828.

Call of the coyote

Coyotes make high-pitched yips, yelps, and barks which sound a lot like the other sounds a bunch of small terriers make when they’re playing. The short, mid-pitched bark of the coyote sounds almost exactly like a terrier’s, but then it often goes into something that sounds almost like a short scream or a weird, highly-pitched laugh.

Call of the gray wolf

Wolves growl, bark, and even whine, like the sound your dog makes when he’s anxious or he’s begging for something he really, really wants. Wolf whines can be playful, anxious, or intimate. There’s even one type of high-pitched whine which means the wolf is getting ready to attack. That one’s usually mixed in with an unnerving short howl.
http://www.second-opinion-doc.com/how-t ... -call.html
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

I've seen a coyote as high as 13K on the way up to White Mountain Peak last year. At the spot where the road looses elevation and then starts to ascend the peak proper there was a coyote out amongst the boulders hunting marmots.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Coyotes make high-pitched yips, yelps, and barks which sound a lot like the other sounds a bunch of small terriers make when they’re playing. The short, mid-pitched bark of the coyote sounds almost exactly like a terrier’s, but then it often goes into something that sounds almost like a short scream or a weird, highly-pitched laugh
Want wierd? here's my terrier.. Jack Russell. Ignore the Chocolate lab bark in the background :) He was looking out the window at a cat at the time..
Bubba Voice.wav
And he does laugh. But not like a coyote..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

One night I heard coyote howls for a few hours at Sphinx Lakes. I was at about 10,600 and the coyotes were about 5-600 feet above (saint) Diane and me. It was the highest place I've heard coyotes.