TR: Fontanillis Lake, Desolation Wilderness, 7/20-7/22

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cmon4day
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR: Fontanillis Lake, Desolation Wilderness, 7/20-7/22

Post by cmon4day »

Finally got to go BPing after not having gone in the last two years due to work commitments.

Took off from the Eagle Falls TH around 12:30 and parking was a ****. The crowds were even worse.
P1250826 copy.jpg
P1250825 copy.jpg
Got to Fontanills Lake in the evening and the mosquitos were out, good thing it was breezy as that kept the mosquitos at bay. Set up camp and had a nice evening. In the morning woke up and took some pictures.
P1250785 copy.jpg
This day was a layover day and while others went fishing, I decided to climb Dicks Peak.
P1250803 copy.jpg
P1250798 copy.jpg
After I got back we hiked up to Dicks Lake to do some fishing. C&R many brookies in the 8" - 10" range
P1250806 copy.jpg
On the way out we wanted to check out the Velma Lakes.
P1250818 copy.jpg
P1250822 copy.jpg
All in all it was great to get back out into my beloved Wilderness. We all had a good time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Fontanillis Lake, Desolation Wilderness, 7/20-7/22

Post by maverick »

2 years is a way to long Vic, happy to read that you finally go out, and thank you for posting this wonderful TR and pictures. Hope this was just a start to a floodgate of trips for you to come. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BigMan »

Thanks for posting. I've enjoyed that area.

How did you get to Dick's Peak? Via Dick's Pass?
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Nice report! Glad you found a way to get back out on the trail. So where is your next trip?
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

Big Man,
I climbed Dicks Peak via the north ridge up from Fontanillis Lake.
paula53
Topix Regular

Post by paula53 »

Desolation Wilderness is a favorite destination of mine. Thanks for posting, I enjoyed reading it and the pictures were beautiful.
cmon4day
Topix Regular

Post by cmon4day »

maverick wrote:2 years is a way to long Vic, happy to read that you finally go out, and thank you for posting this wonderful TR and pictures. Hope this was just a start to a floodgate of trips for you to come. :nod:
balzaccom wrote:Nice report! Glad you found a way to get back out on the trail. So where is your next trip?
Mav & Balza, Things are looking up. I have another trip planned for next week. This time with one of my sons!!! Going back to Desolation for four days. This time out of the Wright L. TH.

Yeah!!