Hiking Rae Lakes Loop Aug 13-18 - have any bear tips?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Hiking Rae Lakes Loop Aug 13-18 - have any bear tips?

Post by robow8 »

Just got back from doing the loop counterclockwise, and the only bear we saw was below Lower Paradise across the river about 100 yards away. We stayed at Junction Meadow, Upper Rae, Dollar, Upper and Lower Paradise Valley.
Robcat32
Topix Novice

Post by Robcat32 »

I think you will be fine. In my years I have far more experiences with bears near large campgrounds with lots of people but in all my hiking, I have had just two brief views of bears who wanted nothing to do with me. Just watch the bigfoots however...
steiny98
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by steiny98 »

Just use common sense and you will be fine. I try to cook at least 100 feet away from camp and in such a way that the wind will carry the smell the opposite way of my camp.

I believe that most of the problem bears are in Yosemite or near large campgrounds. I've only encountered bears below treeline, and every time they just scamper up a rock to get a better look at me then run away.
Clown Shoes
Topix Novice

Post by Clown Shoes »

Couple things: Dont eat dinner at your camp site. if you find yourself in a well populated area full of backpackers consider looking for a site a bit out of the way. Its a big wilderness out there. As stated above , black bears arent going to attack you, but if you leave odors close to your tent, they could come check it out.
By far and away the most troublesome bears are in the Yosemite area, especially little yosemite valley. Have a great trip
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi,
I agree with AlmostThere. Don't be so worried, enjoy your trip and do exactly what the ranger says.
We had a bear visit us in camp near Shadow Creek, Ansel Adams wilderness. We had Ursacks tied far from the tent and my dog scared him away. He came back a few times but he left when she viciously barked. I know that you will not have a dog or Ursack in Yosemite, but the point is, they are afraid of us. After all, they eat little 50 LB dogs, but because she was with us, she was able to scare him away! BTW, I am a small woman and I hike with two timid teenagers and my dog. We are not the powerhouse of defense but the bear was still afraid of me.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

The bears aren't going to eat you but they can certainly be a nuisance. When we did the Rae Lakes loop we asked the ranger when we were getting our permit if there were any bear problems. He told us the areas where they were hanging out and we avoided them. Yeah it meant going from Rae Lakes to Charlotte Creek (12ish miles),but we didn't have to fight bears for our packs like the folks who stayed at Junction meadow did. :)
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.