Bear Can, What do you like ?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Bought the Bearikade Weekender a few years ago...used Snowy's name and saved a few bucks, still pricey but light...fits in all my backpacks easily.
I took all my old collection of stickers...Vasque, Gregory, Eagle Claw, etc (yes a HST sticker too) and plastered them all over the outside...now it is hard to miss and nobody can confuse my can with anybody elses.
Mountainman who swims with trout
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

I was using a Bearikade Weekender but then last summer I switched to the Ursack with the liner. Now that they have taken the Ursack off the approved list I have a brand new Bearikade Scout. My trips are not usually very long, so I only need a small bear can. The Scout will be easier to pack because it's smaller than the other Weekender.

Over the years I've also been through the Garcia and the small size Bear Vault. The Garcia was too heavy and the Bear Vault was too hard to open.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

If anyone wants a free small Bear Vault that's hard to open or a Garcia, let me know - you can have them for the cost of shipping.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Kathy, if you still have one, I know a lady who needs one. You have mail.
Piece of cake.
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Can

Post by frediver »

E-mail on the way.
frediver
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Just noticed that REI has the BearVault 400 on sale for 59.99, marked down from 79.95. (Starting tomorrow.) Item 738-570.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Kathy, I emailed the lady waiting to hear back from her today to see if she wants the GM canister. Thank you.
Piece of cake.
StumbleBum
Topix Acquainted

Post by StumbleBum »

I use the Garcia - because it's what I have, but I don't think I would go so far as to say I 'like it'. :(

I tried the ursack, back when it first came out, and while I like the concept, the fact that it's status (approved/not approved/specific model approved, etc) is discouraging.

If I had the scratch, I would get a bearikade - maybe someday :drool:
dharter
Topix Acquainted

$55 Fixed Cost for Bearikade Rental for JMT Thru-Hikers

Post by dharter »

When I read that you can rent Bearikade's at certain locations yesterday, I emailed Wild Ideas to ask at what locations - I could not find a list. In the response that I received regarding locations and the option of having th eBearikade mailed there was a note that "special rates" apply to JMT, PCT and AT thru-hikers. In a follow-up email I inquired as to the rates and the response was that JMT thru-hikers can rent for a flat rate of $55. They did not say this rate included shipping, so I presume it does not. For me at least, that is a big savings due to the length of time we plan to be on the trail, plus travel time to and from PA. Based on their posted daily rates for the Expedition, I was figuring a rental cost of $93, not including shipping.

Anyway, I have not seen the flat rate info posted on any of the forums I have been viewing, so thought it might be of interest to others.

Doug
Doug
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

I hadn't seen that either, Doug; thanks! I checked back in my records, and we spent about $165 for two expedition-size Bearikades for our three-week trip in 2004, so I'm guessing we did not get the fllat rate (might not have been in effect back then).