Cataract Creek Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Asolthane
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Cataract Creek Pass

Post by Asolthane »

Regarding: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7981

I will be headed over this pass from the SouthWest side in a couple weeks. Anyone been in the area recently this year? Is there any chance there will still be enough snow to give me trouble? Sounds like I will want to stay left (north) and be careful.

Someone mentioned lowering pack with rope. What length cord should I plan on carrying?

Thank you
Last edited by ERIC on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: carved post out of existing thread and placed in new thread in the Backpacking forum
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Cataract Creek Pass

Post by giantbrookie »

You should be fine without a rope. Yes you do want to stay to the north, because the low point is commonly blocked by a cornice on the east side. That having been said, I was over the pass in late July of a much heavier snowfall year (1993), so whatever you'd encounter would be less than what I saw. As of that trip the low point was indeed blocked by a cornice, but there was a class 1 talus-scree bench that headed a bit north (on the Amphitheater side of the true pass) before you could gain the head of a class 2 chimney that was only partly blocked by snow. I suspect that chimney would be entirely snow free this year whereas it required a really athletic wiggle move ascending it (but not descending several days later because enough of the snow had melted). In a year such as this one might take a peek at the low point itself to see if it is in fact clear--who knows it might be--before moving north for the alternative.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Cataract Creek Pass

Post by robertseeburger »

see my post.. just done a couple of minutes ago... got a pic of the cornice.. it is easily doable now.