Coming back to HST & scared

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Coming back to HST & scared

Post by Jimr »

MK,
Are you still carrying a white gas stove? If so, pack it away and get a propane canister stove.
I picked up one of these pocket rocket knockoffs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Backpackin ... SwabhUWeSi

And this one for frying fish
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Mini-B ... SwZQxW4YYL

That alone will knock a few pounds off your cooking gear. Also, as far as Titanium goes, I found TOAKS brand Titanium pots on ebay in various sizes for 1/3 the price of other brands. They work just fine. I also threw away my old plastic poop shovel (can we talk catholes?l) and picked up the" Deuce of Spades". An excellent piece of equipment when duty calls!
http://www.thetentlab.com/Deuce/DeuceofSpadespage.html
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

Hey MK, good to see you here again. We're both about your age and still manage to hike over 100 miles a summer. You're getting good advice here--early mainly: take it slow and easy. We almost never manage 2mph for a day, and we rarely do more than ten miles.

But we still hike more, and see more, than many of the younger hikers who race by us on the trail from time to time.

Enjoy the journey.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

balzaccom wrote:Hey MK, good to see you here again. We're both about your age and still manage to hike over 100 miles a summer. You're getting good advice here--early mainly: take it slow and easy. We almost never manage 2mph for a day, and we rarely do more than ten miles.

But we still hike more, and see more, than many of the younger hikers who race by us on the trail from time to time.

Enjoy the journey.

That sounds like us too.

On our trip up to Twin Lakes earlier this month, we were having a leisurely lunch at the JO Pass junction. Three youngsters came by, had a swig of water, and kept going up to the lakes. My wife and I finished up our lunch/rest, packed up, and headed out. I remarked to her that I kind of wanted to catch that trio, and she remarked that while she didn't think she was competitive, she wanted to also. Long story short, we both beat them to the lakes!

Welcome back MK!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I guess the traffic mentality holds no matter what the method of travel. It reminds me of watching people lane changing, speeding, etc. just to get to the next traffic light. I always chuckle to myself when I see so much effort exerted to beat the flow, but the flow just pulls up next to them. LOL.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Greetings Mokelumnekid

You can get those hamstrings more flexible if you learn a method called myofascial self-release, commonly known as trigger point therapy. I teach this to my clients who have trauma or carry excess tension.

It's a simple process of using a foam roll, lacrosse ball (gently) or other instrument to put steady pressure for sixty seconds on the tight areas. With regular practice this will provide significant relief. Combine that with static stretching, that is, hold the stretch and take full, deep breaths for sixty seconds or longer. Finish up with a Jacuzzi or hot shower on the tight areas to increase circulation. Do this every day for several weeks, and your hamstrings (or any other muscles you want to work on) will have a definite increase in flexibility and improved range of motion, and a noticeable decrease in soreness and pain.

Here are two useful books on the subject: The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Claire Davies, or the more recent Becoming a Supple Leopard by Dr. Kelly Starrett.

Peace
bandguy5686
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by bandguy5686 »

Hi MK,

I want to offer you CHEERS for getting back out there. I'll be 60 this September and I too let career and other pursuits stop me cold. I teach at a High School in the Central Valley and my work just takes over my life-I let it and that's my fault.

That being said, as of 2013 I resolved to claw my way back into the backcountry. It's been tooth and nail and I'm FAR from being super comfy-each trip so far has been a major physical challenge. Your story is an inspiration-I feel those nerves every time I set out-"Am I prepared enough;" "Can I even do this?" what if-what if-what if!" Scared? I so can relate!!

But, owing to your outdoor life, you KNOW it's gonna be worth it. The suggestions above-I'm going to put those to use myself. But the main thing is CHEERS!!! You and your wife will be sipping tequila in places so few people EVER get to go. Can't wait to see the TR!!!
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

"I have gone from sad to excited....now just praying that the skeeters don't eat me alive"

Hey, every pint of blood they remove reduces your weight by a pound more
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher