Hetch Hetchy Report - Hydration Question

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Hetch Hetchy Report - Hydration Question

Post by jgaffney »

I got a wilderness permit for last weekend (8/22-24) to hike out of Hetch Hetchy. I drove up the night before and camped at the backpacker's campground to acclimate (I live at sea level). I was drinking plenty of liquids to get ready. My plan was to hike to Rancheria Falls Friday, then northish to Lake Vernon Saturday, then back down to Hetch Hetchy on Sunday.

I knew it was going to be hot, so I got an early start Friday - I was walking by 6 am. I got to Rancheria Falls by noon and found a very good campsite toward the south end of the campsite area (11 S 0261324, 4204376) - easy access to water, nobody next to me, but not much shade.

Did I mention it was hot? I drank 3 liters of water during the hike in, and 3 more liters after I got there. I felt tired, with no appetite. Later I learned that I had the classic symptoms of dehydration. Rather than risk getting worse in the hike over to Lake Vernon, I headed back to the dam on Saturday morning, and then drove home. Good thing I did, because traffic out of the Yosemite area on Sunday was a nightmare.

I want to find something to fight dehydration the next time. What do other people use: Gatorade powder, salt pills, or what? It has to be light, and no caffeine.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hetch Hetchy Report - Hydration Question

Post by maverick »

Luckily you stopped, there would have been no access to water after Tiltill Creek to Vernon and it would have been even hotter, plus the climb would have made things much worse.
Read this article: http://www.1vigor.com/article/hiking-cl ... trategies/
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SCandy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by SCandy »

I feel your pain.
Was in the area a few weeks before and ran into a few who "bonked"
No crime in that. I used to hit the wall when I mountain biked.
You need replacements and water, not just water or you run the risk of depleting yourself of electrolytes even more as you continue to drink.
Some of the PCT people are saying that they like the Emergen-C Electo mix product. Comes in a powder packets.
You can get other powders like Gatorade and lots of tabs that you dissolve in your water bottle. GU makes tabs.
A good place to ask is the running stores that specialize in shoes and gear for hard core runners and tri atheletes. They live on that stuff.
But you have to stay cool and drink a lot of fluids early. Sounds like you did that but it is almost impossible to avoid the searing heat down there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

But you have to stay cool and drink a lot of fluids early.
Yeap, I usually start hydrating and carb loading 2-3 days before a trip.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

I've been close to heat exhuation on that trail. Wow it can get hot . I just went slow, and rested in the shade every chance I got. There are a few cold springs along the way. I would wet a bandana, and put it around the back of my neck. But I would think twice about hiking it when there is a big high pressure ridge.
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted

Post by jgaffney »

maverick wrote: Yeap, I usually start hydrating and carb loading 2-3 days before a trip.
You mean an Angus Burger and 2 draft beers at the Evergreen Lodge don't count as carb-loading?
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted

Post by jgaffney »

SCandy wrote: Some of the PCT people are saying that they like the Emergen-C Electo mix product.
Thanks for the tips. I have ordered the Emergen-C and Gatorade packets at Amazon.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

I like Nuun Active to help replace my electrolytes. And it gives the water a bit of fizz, which is nice for a change.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

i've had dehydration/hyponatremia issues in the past and nuun is the best thing i've found. i use it all the time hiking.
alc101ma
Topix Regular

Post by alc101ma »

You did the smart thing!

Perhaps it could have also been the altitude?
Hiking and camping in the Bay Area and up the Pacific coast. Backpacking in the Sierra Nevada mountains. Catching backcountry trout. I write articles, stories, guides, and how to's for exploring the outdoors. http://www.loveto.camp