Weather forecast for last weekend of July 2016

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Fletch
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Weather forecast for last weekend of July 2016

Post by Fletch »

I'm headed to for a 3 night trip out of Lake Edison. Bear Creek Trail to Lake Italy and the summit of Mt. Gabb. Can anyone who's been up recently give me a weather forecast? Overnight low temps? Rain?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Weather forecast for last weekend of July 2016

Post by rlown »

http://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/in ... california if this is what you mean..

I prefer the NOAA site, but do the search.

The skeeters will be your friend.. :)

Also, don't try and predict the weather a week out.. Look at the weather maps, and the forecasts the day before you go. More accurate at the time of departure.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Moved topic to the proper forum.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Fletch
Topix Novice

Post by Fletch »

Thanks. 50's at Edison. 40's at Kaiser Point. I'm guessing mid-30's overnight at 11,000.

seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

Actually, Maverick's link was a point forecast (probably for Gabb) for about 12,000 feet. 30's in places where cold air pools seems like the coldest you should expect at this point, but 40's might be as cold as it gets on your trip. Keep an eye on the thunderstorm forecast. 20% actually indicates a decent chance of experiencing thunderstorm activity at some point. If it rises to 40% or more, getting wet becomes likely.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Fletch
Topix Novice

Post by Fletch »

Thanks! The point forecast was exactly what I was looking for. Looks like it's going to be warmer than I had thought.

SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I plugged in Lat: 37.29833°N Lon: 119.10333°W that is the location of "Kaiser Point" on Mavericks weather link. A reverse map lookup shows the station is at the microwave transmitter near the top of Kaiser Pass off on the Whitebark Point dirt road to the vista viewpoint. We sometimes overnight there before starting backpacking trips because the elevation is high. Nice to know they now also installed a remote weather site there.

David
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

I, too, enjoy Whitebark Vista and, yes, the top of the page shows the Kaiser Point weather station, but if you scroll down the forecast is not for there. Maybe everyone reading already knows this, but the point forecast is for Mount Gabb area:
21 Miles SSE Mammoth Lakes CA
 37.37°N 118.79°W (Elev. 11929 ft)

I almost made a dash to Recess and Hilgard last weekend and may not have enjoyed the heat. Looks like the chance of thunderstorms will bring some pleasant conditions as I head north from Saddlebag this weekend with cooler days, mild nights, and substantial breezes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Here is a NOAA interacive map where you can select a layer.The Observations layer can be drilled down to the reporting station such as Tyndall or Charlotte Lake. Short range to 72 hours, I think.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/map/
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien