Carol Col & Royce Lakes - Dog?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
notis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Carol Col & Royce Lakes - Dog?

Post by notis »

Hi all,

Officially new to this site, but already love the positivity and support it offers. Looking forward to people's expertise.

I have a ~32mi route planned out for 4D/3N in early August--North Lake - Piute Pass - Carol Col - Elba Lake - Pine Creek Pass - Granite Park - Royce Pass - French Canyon - Hutchinson Meadow - Piute Pass - North Lake.

Two XC passes planned--Carol Col then Royce Pass. Are these doable with a dog? Carol Col will be South-North and Royce Pass will be North-->South. Been browsing info here and online but wanted personal opinions.

Dog is a strong hiker as a German Shepherd/Hound/Lab mix--can do up to 12mi daily. Except we haven't had hardly any XC with her... Hikers are Level 3, comfortable with snow travel and river crossings. Would appreciate any insight into the passes, especially with a canine. Thanks!
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Carol Col & Royce Lakes - Dog?

Post by rlown »

Carol Col is easy except for the first step down (a bit of air there.) It's a path down after that. Dog will be fine. Not sure about Royce.

If the dog has a pack on (with a handle) It makes it easier. But.. sounds like your dog is 67ish lbs? Thing I usually do is sit there a second.. think about it, and then make a decision on how. You'll be fine I think. Are you fishing?

And get and train her with booties. You might need them if the paws go raw..
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

Gotcha, thanks re: Carol Col. That's the one I was more concerned about with her. I've been using the map here to take a look at the photos. Hug the wall...

Funny, I think you guessed her weight exactly. Maybe 65. She'll have a pack with the handle. Her booties are a must with the granite and talus in the Sierras--and that's ON trail! Maybe we'll take them off for scrambling--she grips those rocks better without them on.

No, we won't be fishing.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Have a nice trip!! looking forward to the TR and lots of pics..
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

This will help: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7966&hilit=carol+co ... dog#p57844
Royce is easier than Carol.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mav, get a dog already.. then you can chime in.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mav, get a dog already.. then you can chime in.
You know the deal Russ. :\

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

Maverick--awesome. Thanks for that link, I hadn't found that thread yet. I think we decided to take Hazel and spread out the two passes just in case. My understanding is the Carol Col is easiest approaching from Mesa Lake and traveling towards Puppet. This true?

Rlown, definitely be expecting a TR and pics!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

My understanding is the Carol Col is easiest approaching from Mesa Lake and traveling towards Puppet. This true?
Yes it is. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7686&p=92064&hilit=carol#p55461