Sugarloaf Trail (SEKI)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
chulavista
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Sugarloaf Trail (SEKI)

Post by chulavista »

Thinking about an out and back to Big Brewer Lake for some climbing with a Sugarloaf or Belle Canyon permit in September. I did some searches and found some good info on different routes to BBL. I'm interested in what everyone thinks about the three different entry/exit trails into/from SEKI, via Kanawyer Gap, Pond Meadow, or Belle Canyon. Any preferences?
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Sugarloaf Trail (SEKI)

Post by cslaght »

I did the Marvin Pass into Sugarloaf 3 years ago, and went in Kanawyer Gap and out Pond Meadow. The trail past Kanawyer is not maintained near Commache Meadow, it's not that it isn't difficult to get there, but it does slow you down with overgrowth and stuff. Pond Meadow would definitely be faster and it is much better maintained. I would think Belle Canyon would be ok, but it goes a little out of the way from Pond. If you climb Mitchell Peak (which we did on the way) Kanawyer is the way to go as you're already there; if you're looking for speed Pond would be the way to go.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sugarloaf Trail (SEKI)

Post by AlmostThere »

Rowell Meadow is a moderate way to get out to Belle Canyon, we liked that it was a shorter drive than Marvin Pass too.