Slab Lakes, Walton Ridge, Turner Lake, etc.

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Slab Lakes, Walton Ridge, Turner Lake, etc.

Post by oleander »

We may be taking Fernandez or Walton Trail up to Slab Lakes. Anyone been over that pass - Walton Pass (Walton Ridge) - to Turner Lake on the north side? It's Class 2, but is it a Class 2 I'd want to do with 7 days worth of food still in my pack?

Yes, this is the way I might decide to go to the meet-up. Among other things, it would allow me to pay a visit to the Upper Merced watershed (Turner Lake, Red Devil Lake, etc.) on the way to the Lyell Fork.

An alternative is just to hoof over Post Peak Pass - which I understand is quite beautiful too, at least at the pass. However, there are no lakes on the trail to Post Peak Pass, and the Slab Lakes basin just looks juicy and little-visited, at least on the map.

Alpine scenery is the priority; no fishing or anything.

- Elizabeth
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: Slab Lakes, Walton Ridge, Turner Lake, etc.

Post by giantbrookie »

Slab Lakes and Walton Lakes are pretty but I think Post Lakes are prettier owing to the more rugged slabby cliffs above them. On the other hand you have a longer off trail stroll to Slab/Walton then just a small detour to Post Lakes, so Slab-Walton will probably have a more remote feel than the Post Lakes because it's further from a trail.

Walton Pass (if this is pass I think you mean=Secor "Walton Ridge"=0.5 mi ESE Triple Divide Peak) is pretty mellow and I don't think you'd have trouble going over it even with a pretty heavy pack. As far as nomenclature problems go, see below.

Now if you're thinking of going to Red Devil you might think of cresting Walton Ridge then heading west at or slightly above 10800' and then dropping down to Edna Lake which is the most alpine looking destination in the area. This is a bit more difficult than simply descending to Turner L. though although still strictly class 2. It is also class 2 to go through the pass 0.5 mi S of Triple Divide (= Three-D Divide of Secor, see below--called Walton Pass on the Peaks for Freaks Blog) and then the pass btw Triple Divide and Merced Pk but I wouldn't recommend that with a full pack because there is a short stretch of pretty large talus on the traverse btw the two passes and the north side of the Merced-Triple Divide col is pretty steep (and can be covered by a very steep snow patch for which one sometimes needs an ice axe for safety).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Here is a TR that has a photo of Walton Pass in it towards the bottom: http://peaksforfreaks.blogspot.com/2014 ... annie.html
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie

Post by giantbrookie »

maverick wrote:Here is a TR that has a photo of Walton Pass in it towards the bottom: http://peaksforfreaks.blogspot.com/2014 ... annie.html
There seems to be some nomenclature issues with "Walton Pass" (see notes above). The one shown on the Peaks for Freaks post is called Three-D Divide by Secor (0.5 mi S of Triple Divide Peak). The pass I suspect Oleander is referring to is called "Walton Ridge" by Secor (0.5 mi ESE of Triple Divide Peak). I say this because she is referring to going btw Slab/Walton L. and Turner L. for which the pass 0.5 ESE of Triple Divide would be the direct way.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Yes, you are correct in pointing out GB that Walton Pass will not lead down to the the drainage leading to Turner Lake which is Lisa's goal, but rather down towards the basin above Upper Merced Lake, but the route over the eastern shoulder of TDP at around 10900 ft looks quite doable. The photo's from the link from TDP towards Post Peak gives one an idea of what can be expected from the terrain along the ridge-line.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

In reports, people seem to really love the traverse topping Post Peak Pass. We may just stick to that pass, and then descend to Turner Lake via the creek that drains into it from near the junction of the Post Peak Pass and Isberg Pass trailheads. How's that descent?

- Elizabeth
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Have been from Walton lake up over the ridge to Turner, and I recall it as a piece of cake. Triple Divide Peak from the saddle was well worth a little talus for the sake of the tremendous views. Walton lake was a very nice spot - camped there. From Turner Lake that whole slope on the east side of the lake looks very mellow, I doubt you'd have any issues strolling down along that inlet stream if you decide to come in that way. That's a really nice area - we went up from Turner to Harriet and that was just one of the nicest off-trail strolls you could imagine, all rock gardens and nice little lakes. And those lakes on the shelf below the western side Isberg/Post peak passes are lovely; we had lunch there on the way out toward Post Peak Pass.
Electra
Topix Acquainted

Post by Electra »

I only skimmed the various replies here so my addition/two cents is that snow/wet granite on the north side slabs east of triple divide, especially just NE of slab lakes can be very precarious. This area can lure you into trouble, especially with poor traction shoes on these slabs.
Dan Braun
Camp Navarro, Evergreen Lodge & SYMG