TR: Golden Trout Lakes (Onion Valley) 7/8/16 - 7/10/16

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
phoenix2000
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Golden Trout Lakes (Onion Valley) 7/8/16 - 7/10/16

Post by phoenix2000 »

I noticed that in every picture of Ozzy he's squinting from the harsh sunlight and jokingly thought "he should wear sunglasses!'. A quick check of the internet shows that they actually do make sunglasses for dogs http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Pet- ... 2975325011.
Bruce B
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bruce B »

bbayley80 wrote:Bruce B.
great TR and photos!
been tempted many times to go check out those Lakes on my way past to Kearsarge Pass/Lakes..seems i need to pull the trigger!

and of course, Ozzy looks to be an outstanding trail companion ;)

thanks.
My 79 year old dad, Ozzy, and I were dayhiking around Kearsarge Lakes a couple years ago when I saw the the turnoff to Golden Trout Lakes. At that time, I made a mental note come back and check them out. I'm glad I finally did. They're worth the trip.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Good trail dogs are a lot of fun on the trail. Mine gets dehydrated rice and turkey burger -- light and more compact than kibble.

The other reason not to let a dog have trout would be that raw salmonids can be deadly for dogs. I have at times added a little cooked trout to my pup's meals, after being careful that it had no bones. But I keep her leashed around lakes because some fishermen bury their guts and I want to avoid her untimely demise if she digs them up.
http://andrewsigal.blogspot.com/2012/08 ... trout.html
Bruce B
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bruce B »

phoenix2000 wrote:I noticed that in every picture of Ozzy he's squinting from the harsh sunlight and jokingly thought "he should wear sunglasses!'. A quick check of the internet shows that they actually do make sunglasses for dogs http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Pet- ... 2975325011.
There's a company called "Doggles" that makes those, too. I'd consider getting a pair if I ever took Ozzy on extended snow or glacier travel. But then I'd also need dog crampons or snowshoes... Maybe a dog ice axe? At that point, it's getting a little ridiculous and it would probably be better to leave him at home for the weekend! :)
Bruce B
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bruce B »

AlmostThere wrote:Good trail dogs are a lot of fun on the trail. Mine gets dehydrated rice and turkey burger -- light and more compact than kibble.

The other reason not to let a dog have trout would be that raw salmonids can be deadly for dogs. I have at times added a little cooked trout to my pup's meals, after being careful that it had no bones. But I keep her leashed around lakes because some fishermen bury their guts and I want to avoid her untimely demise if she digs them up.
http://andrewsigal.blogspot.com/2012/08 ... trout.html
Good info. Thanks! I'm lucky that Ozzy stays close to me by nature (it didn't take much training) so it's easy to keep an eye on him. He also doesn't pick up strange food without permission... 90 percent of the time anyway. But I'm sure he would try to gobble some trout guts if he thought he could get away with it.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Great photos! Ozzy is rocking it! :thumbsup:
Robcat32
Topix Novice

Post by Robcat32 »

Beautiful TR and photos. Looks wonderful up there.

Does anyone have any idea how the fishing is here Generally? I was thinking of going here last week but simply wasn't going to have time or the gear.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Bruce >>> ...That's Ozzy in front of the snow.

Along with some Sierra primrose flowers. Love his coloration, cool looking dog.

Bruce >>> ...The upper lake was stunning with the flowers still in bloom.

Our beautiful alpine Shooting stars.

I've been to those lakes and indeed they receive far less visitation than those on the Kearsarge Pass Trail because of the rough unmaintained slide damaged trail. Thanks for the report
Bruce B
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bruce B »

Robcat32 wrote:Beautiful TR and photos. Looks wonderful up there.

Does anyone have any idea how the fishing is here Generally? I was thinking of going here last week but simply wasn't going to have time or the gear.
Hi. This site has some info on fishing at Golden Trout Lakes. http://stevenojai.tripod.com/whitneybc.htm

I didn't see any trout circles on the lake surface while I was there. But the water was pretty choppy that weekend so I probably wouldn't have noticed if there were any.
Bruce B
Topix Acquainted

Post by Bruce B »

SSSdave wrote:Bruce >>> ...That's Ozzy in front of the snow.

Along with some Sierra primrose flowers. Love his coloration, cool looking dog.

Bruce >>> ...The upper lake was stunning with the flowers still in bloom.

Our beautiful alpine Shooting stars.

I've been to those lakes and indeed they receive far less visitation than those on the Kearsarge Pass Trail because of the rough unmaintained slide damaged trail. Thanks for the report
Thanks for the info! My knowledge of Sierra flora is quite limited. I can differentiate trees from grass. That's about it.