Campsite-Tent match-mismatch

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Campsite-Tent match-mismatch

Post by longri »

Hobbes wrote:
longri wrote:My solution is even simpler - don't use shelter unless it's either raining (or might rain later). If it is raining (or might rain later), then you probably shouldn't be in an area ie above treeline on hard granite, where it's difficult and/or too narrow to pitch a non-free standing tarp. If it is raining (or might rain later), and assuming you're a little bit lower with a little bit of room, then setting up a non-free standing tarp is pretty straightforward.
I like to cowboy camp too but not everybody does. It's colder and can be wetter (dew). Bugs are more likely to bite. Little bits of junk are more likely to get under your expensive inflatable pad and puncture it. Wind can blow your possessions away. That annoying full moon might be in your eyes. And, for many people, there's a desire to be in a kind of "nest".

If it's raining a non-freestanding tent on hard granite above tree line works just fine in the Sierra. What else are you going to do, run downhill a thousand feet?
Clown Shoes
Topix Novice

Post by Clown Shoes »

Innernet solves the bathtub floor issue.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

Clown Shoes wrote:Innernet solves the bathtub floor issue.
What? Are you slurring the word "internet" or do you mean some sort of mosquito net thing?
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

Hobbes wrote:...when I was 19, I dropped out of college before my junior year and moved to the north shore of Oahu. I bought an old Nova and slept out of the back seat for a month. I had a pair of surf trunks, a t-shirt, sandals and 2 boards. A friend from Santa Cruz came over, so we upgraded to a 12x10 brick storage room for $90/month ($45/per person). It didn't matter though, since we were 20 yards from Sunset. 40oz, ramen and a radio filled out our nights.

I returned to civilization before a year was up (and graduated 2 years later), but the minimalist instinct still holds. You really don't need much to have fun as long as you have the basic equipment for what you're doing for the particular time & place that you're "doing it". In the summer, that means shoes, hat, water bottle, quilt, tarp, food and the ability to walk.
Cool. Damn cool. If you ever find yourself in Sacramento thirsty and willing to share stories, let me know.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Freestanding MSR Hubba because: I'm up above treeline as much as possible, and trying to get stakes in the ground is often just not going to happen. Finding a couple of rock anchors is okay, but finding eight or ten suitable rocks for a tarptent could become ridiculous. Also, finding a large enough tent site can be difficult even with the Hubba.

I've gone with just a bivvy sack for three day trips when the weather was fairly predictable, but you can't count on weather forecasts any longer than that (sometimes not even that long). I really, really dislike the idea of running for the trees if the weather kicks up. Isn't the whole point to be up in the high country and experience whatever nature has in store?

Well, maybe not for some people.

However, I sure do like the idea of saving one and a half pounds. That Hexamid Solo Plus looks pretty good. I just don't know.

If someone would like to give me $525 to buy a Hexamid Solo Plus, I could try it out and give you a more definitive answer. I'm just trying to be helpful. I am a helpful person, I guess.
cefire
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by cefire »

"If someone would like to give me $525 to buy a Hexamid Solo Plus, I could try it out and give you a more definitive answer. I'm just trying to be helpful. I am a helpful person, I guess."

Haha, thanks for your help. If only there were someway to repay it... \:D/