Closed Cell Sleeping Pads

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Closed Cell Sleeping Pads

Post by maverick »

Does anyone still use them here as their primary sleeping pad? If yes which one? Has anyone use closed cell pads and then went over to an air matress only to go back to closed cell pads?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Closed Cell Sleeping Pads

Post by rayfound »

I used one for my first trip, then got air pad. When my wife came one time, she used the air pad, and I used the foam... as a side/stomach sleeper, it was agony. Never again... I am shocked by how many I see on trail though.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

The one point is if you're with a dog. Air mattresses are not very compatible with doggy nails. And they should have their own small bag (seen the demo bags in the stores and was thinking what a great marketing idea).
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Not me. I started with blue foam, then to thin term-a-rest, then thicker therm-a-rest, then to the Neo Air X-Lite. I've never slept so well and will not return to either of the others.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
davepctjmt
Topix Novice

Post by davepctjmt »

I have a gossamer gear nightlight (discontinued, but basically a long version of their concertina egg crate pad) and an Exped syn mat ul7. I still use both. The nightlight is indestructible, very light (200g) and forms a good internal frame for my go lite gust. The synmat is more comfortable but heavier and could fail at any point.

If they still sold the nightlight as a full length pad, I wouldn't have bought the synmat- there's a lot to be said for gear that has no point of failure in my experience.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

have a gossamer gear nightlight (discontinued, but basically a long version of their concertina egg crate pad)
Sounds similar to my old Mt.Washington Pad
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
davepctjmt
Topix Novice

Post by davepctjmt »

Yup, that's the one. Mt Washington pads sadly even longer discontinued!