Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by maverick »

Confirmed so far:
Gazelle
Rockyroad
Oleander +1
Maverick
Shhsgirl +1
Bluewater
Mort +2
Vhsvhs
Hobbes
Kpeter +1
Peaksandpotatoes +1
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

These are everyone's assigned camp spots, see you there. :)

Camp 1: HST Map

Gazelle
Vhsvhs
Kpeter +1
Rockyroad

Camp 2: HST Map

Peaksandpotatoes +1
Shhsgirl +1
Mort +2

Camp 3: HST Map

Hobbes
Bluewater
Oleander +1
Maverick

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

That spot is perfect for me. I'm taking off Friday morning and heading to Tuolumne 19 miles away. I was going to send you a PM about location preference ie staying lower, but you must have read my mind. =D>
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Tea time / mingle time will be at 5 pm on Thur and Fri at Camp 1, pack your dinners, snacks, extra clothing so you do not have to rush back to your campsite to eat or beat sundown. :)

peaksandpotatoes
Topix Acquainted

Post by peaksandpotatoes »

Wow I just saw all these posts. I've been traveling with family...

I'm probably in the worst shape I've been in since the beginning of spring and I'm dealing with a bout of stress-induced hives on my feet, plus I haven't heard from my hiking partner in a while... but I'm still super excited!!! Thanks for organizing this Maverick! I love that my camp spot is right in the middle of three SPS peaks. Hopefully I can just get one in my condition haha. Also, let it be known, that I don't really consider myself a backpacker, and that this will be a loooong trip for me, but the prospect of meeting so many other amazing outdoorsmen and women is getting me really pumped to pick up that ridiculously heavy pack and trudge up miles of pebbles!!

I still need to figure a way out. My partner suggested going down towards Blue Lake then Bench Canyon to Twin Island Lakes to Thousand Island Lakes. Any thoughts on this idea? I read that the west side of Rodgers Pass (we are coming in via Rodgers) is no fun, so I asked him to think of alternatives. But I am afraid it is a bit long for two days? Plus I have no idea what the terrain will be like from our campsite to Blue Lake. Maybe I should just drop a car off at Tuolumne and do what Hobbes is doing (except starting Sat)?
http://peaksandpotatoes.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

That is why your were assigned that campsite P&P, kept the climbing side of you in mind. ;)
Bringing two cars and leaving one in TM would be a good idea, you will be able to see areas you haven't explored before. The Blue Lake Pass>Bench Canyon>Twin Lakes>Catherine Lake>1000 Is Lake route is beautiful but 2 days is pushing it, especially if you are not in great backpacking shape. :)

oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

The new plan for Viki and me:

Isberg TH - Joe Crane Lake - skip over to Post Peak trail and Post Peak Pass - north along trail possibly with diversions to Turner Lake, Harriet Lake, etc. - Lyell Fork, arriving at Camp 3 as early as Tuesday evening. Friday midday departure from Camp 3, returning directly to Isberg TH.

That'll give us a full two days to explore Lyell Fork and Hutchings Creek.

Can't wait to see old friends, and make new ones...

- Elizabeth
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

Ummm...okay, Mav. You gave hubby and me a place we want to be, but it's the getting there. Haha. We'll go our best to haul our OLD you-know-whats up there from trail.

BTW, we are making it a ten-day trip. Coming in on River Trail, then etc., etc. Exiting Tuolumne.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Still planning on coming in via the River Trail over Glacier Pass and Blue Lake Pass, arriving Thursday after exploring Hutchings Creek Basin. Exiting via Rodgers Pass back to Mammoth, unless P&P reports bad conditions and scares me into another route...
peaksandpotatoes wrote:... I read that the west side of Rodgers Pass (we are coming in via Rodgers) is no fun, ...
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

Maybe we'll see you, Rockyroad, as you zoom past us. Providing we get a permit, that is...