Suggestions for hiking Kings Canyon/Sequoia

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Quandary
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Suggestions for hiking Kings Canyon/Sequoia

Post by Quandary »

I'll be staying at the park for about 5 days in July with my two kids. This is our first visit to this park. Can anyone suggest a campground and good trails for day hikes? We won't be doing any overnights in the backcountry on this trip. But my kids are old enough to do long day hikes.

Thanks!
Phil
Strider
Topix Regular

Post by Strider »

Lodgepole campground is pleasant, and there should still be water in the creek in July. The trailhead there has some short hikes with good views such as Watchtower, and you definitely want to check out Crystal Cave and Moro Rock while you are in the park.
'Hike long and perspire'
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I second Lodgepole. The Watchtower on the trail to Pear Lake out of
Wolverton is a fun hike with great views.
Moro Rock and Crescent Meadow next to it is must. The caves are
cool! Little Baldy Trail has great views.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Make that a third. Pear lake via the watch tower is the possibly most awe inspiring hike I have ever taken.

Here is a 360 panorama of Pear Lake http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2511 ... 8944fnjrrI

And the rest of the shots from the hike. http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5547 ... w?start=24

The pictures do not do it justice but...

ken
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

I agree that the Pear Lake hike via the Watchtower is classic is probably be the premier dayhike out of the west side of Seki. Moro Rock has nice views. You mentioned you will be there 5 days. If so you should certainly take the Pear Lake hike but you have plenty of time to consider also a drive into the Cedar Grove area. The glaciated section in the Cedar Grove/roads end area is a junior Yosemite Valley and is nice (more rugged than the area above Lodgepole, for example), but the narrow V-shaped section of the canyon in the vicinity of Boyden Cave (downstream of the Cedar Grove area and along the road there) is probably the most stupendous sight in all of Sequoia/Kings Canyon NP--this part of the canyon is much deeper than any other Sierran canyon, including Yosemite Valley. The Cedar Grove area doesn't have any classic dayhikes, unless one really puts in a lot of mileage and gain, but you can simply do some pleasant wandering from road's end at Zumwalt Meadow up toward Bubb's Creek just to enjoy the sights and you can also visit Boyden Cave (along the road).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I almost forgot a classic though long you're well rewarded for you
efforts. Its the Don Cecil Trail from Cedar Grove which goes up to
Lookout Peak!! Fabulous views from the top.
Make sure you get an early start and get water at the creek crossing
on the way up. Also make sure you have a nice and clear day.
Quandary
Topix Acquainted

Post by Quandary »

Thanks everyone. This is a great help. And thanks for the pics, Ken!

Phil