Bishop to North Lake

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
gashgabbit
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Bishop to North Lake

Post by gashgabbit »

Hello.

In the middle of August I plan to hike from the North Lake camp to the Whitney Portal. Rather, from Bishop to the North Lake camp, and then to the Whitney Portal, if I cannot find or hitch a ride along the way after leaving the station in Bishop where I will pick up my permit.

I have done this hike before but previously had a ride nearly to the camp - I am by no means used to hitching rides. I reckon the hike from town is ~20 miles, and frankly I'd rather not walk it.

I have read the guide to hitching in California, and am glad it was linked on this forum. I will likely bring a sign and fix it to my back, to read "TO NORTH LAKE," as I do not plan to stand around the station for much longer than it takes to get my permit, though I will ask after a ride in the event I see anyone else there first thing in the morning.

So far as I'm aware Bishop has no taxi service. Please correct me if I am wrong. Any other advice, ideas, etc., are welcome and much appreciated.

Thank-you kindly.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Bishop to North Lake

Post by maverick »

If no one else is at the White Mountain Station that is heading up to one of the lakes at the time you are getting your permit I would immediately walk to Hwy 168 and start walking up it having my sign out as any car comes by, you may get someone who has picked up their permit at one of the other wilderenss offices, is heading up to a dayhike or going up fishing for the day.
Which day are you planning to start, list the date and time, someone from HST maybe heading up on the same day.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gashgabbit
Topix Novice

Re: Bishop to North Lake

Post by gashgabbit »

maverick wrote:If no one else is at the White Mountain Station that is heading up to one of the lakes at the time you are getting your permit I would immediately walk to Hwy 168 and start walking up it having my sign out as any car comes by, you may get someone who has picked up their permit at one of the other wilderenss offices, is heading up to a dayhike or going up fishing for the day.
Which day are you planning to start, list the date and time, someone from HST maybe heading up on the same day.
Thanks for the response.

I will definitely start walking up Hwy 168 in the event I fail to get a ride at the station.

I will arrive in Bishop early morning on the 15th of August, 2016, in time to be at the White Mountain Ranger Station when it opens at 8AM.