Off to Wyoming!

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Off to Wyoming!

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am off to the Wind Rivers Wednesday, to return after Labor Day. I have 4-5 trips planned; most 6-8 day duration, one 12 days; all but one I will do solo. Cannot say that I will be doing the prime trips in the Winds and hate to ask anyone to go with me on these trips. This year my objective is to check out a number of really remote places to get some new photos, verify a route in an area I have never been to, and see what lasting damage the Alpine Lake Fire of 2012 has done. I think it wiped out a few trails. If all goes well, I plan on a second edtion to my guidebook to come out early 2017.

I have pre-packed all my food, and have three sets of hiking clothes. Although I usually have opportunites to wash clothes and buy food between trips, for me, it has been easier to do all this work up front. I have 2-3 trips on the Wind River Indian Reservatioin, and I will fish on these, because you are require to buy a "crossing permit" which is also a fishing permit, basically fish for free. I qualify for the senior rate so the annual pass is only $65. I will not likely fish on the national forests, because the Wyoming out-of-state fishing license is very expensive and they do not have any senior rates. I may buy a 2-day permit for some known good fishing lakes.

The NOAA snow satallite images snow a new skiff of snow last night above 9000 feet! Brrr! Frost warnings in surrounding towns. I will not get on the trial until Saturday, and things are supposed to warm up a bit by then. And those regular afternoon thunderstorms. They had an above average snowpack, a lot late season, but it has been melting pretty good. Streams have peaked and are coming down, thank goodness. I expect a week or so of mosquitoes, hoping the worst is past. I now just keep my fingers crossed that no forest fires start.

I won't be posting trip reports, but will be able to connect to the form between trips.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Off to Wyoming!

Post by rlown »

good luck! god speed! (not sure what that really means) ok have fun!!
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

Sounds awesome, have fun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Be safe and have a great time!!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Ah, my second-favorite place to hike! Have a superb time, and tell us *all* about it! ;)
—B²
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Have a great trip! Looking forward to the trip report(s).
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

No mention of your husband?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

CC wrote:
No mention of your husband?
WD wrote:
I have 4-5 trips planned; most 6-8 day duration, one 12 days; all but one I will do solo.
Maybe he will accompanying her on the one trip that she will not being solo CC.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Wow, that sounds like an amazing hiking binge you've set up, the stuff of which most of us only dream about! When you get back, you'll have enough material to light up our forums well into next year. Enjoy.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My dear husband is not interested in the trips I will be doing (and I do not blame him!). He has plenty of plans of his own. We are doing our annual fishing trip here in the Sierra when I return. He gets his time in the Fall when he is going to Spain for three weeks. I am out the door! Everyone have a great summer in the Sierra - I am sorry that I will miss the meet-up.