TR: Flagpole

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
shuteye
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Flagpole

Post by shuteye »

I think this one really good photo that someone else took made me want to climb Flagpole Peak:

1.jpg

It"s not in the least remote, has no route-finding problems, not really any exposure, or much climbing for that matter—but damn, it looks great and the views are pretty good too.

I left the trail here:
2.jpg
Here's where I should have left the trail. The other approach was fine but this way might have added some scrambling.
3.jpg
The cliff ahead seems to bar progress, but there's an easy ramp to the left.
4.jpg
Looking back:
5.jpg
The top:
6.jpg
Echo Peak?
7.jpg
Desolation
8.jpg
Lake Tahoe Basin
9.jpg
Two hours car to car, going slow.

On the way out I must have met 15 backpackers in 20 minutes on the PCT in next to Echo Lake, 5 or so parties, all the most cheerful and friendly people I've met in months.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Flagpole

Post by maverick »

Cool views, looks like a fun and easy day hike, thanks for sharing it. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
shuteye
Topix Acquainted

Post by shuteye »

Though Flagpole wasn't exactly what I was hoping for, I had fun. Has anyone scrambled the ridge to Emerald Point? I believe there's a mysterious 5.7 called Section 20 on it, but Bob Burd seems to say that some 3, 4, and 5 easy is required to follow the path of least resistance.
zip
Topix Newbie

Post by zip »

Section 20 is actually on the giant south face of Emerald Point. Approach by following Eagle Cr about a half mile past "ninety foot wall" to a ravine which can be climbed (brush and talus) to the base of a large whitish dihedral. Section 20 starts in a 5.6 chimney/ramp just to the left.