TR: Twin Lakes Sequoia NP July 2-4

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

TR: Twin Lakes Sequoia NP July 2-4

Post by robow8 »

Last year, we planned to do the Rae Lakes Loop, but the Rough Fire had other plans for us. But, we got an annual pass for SEKI. And with a lone Memorial Day weekend, and a long Independence Day Weekend, we decided that we would make the drive and get into the Sierra

Memorial Day weekend was interesting. The weather was nice, except for some thundershowers in the afternoons. Quite a bit of snow at Cahoon Gap and Northward. And Silliman Creek was a knee deep crossing. Here are some photos of the difference a month makes.
Stream2.jpg
Little stream before J.O. Pass junction
Junction2.jpg
J.O. Pass junction
Twin Lakes2.jpg
Twin Lakes

We spent Friday night in Visalia and got up early to get up to Lodgepole, only to wait in line to get our permit. One computer and chatty people/rangers makes for long waits. Got on the trail just before 9:30, took our time and got up to the lakes about 3. A few groups there and plenty more showed up later. Most every group that made it up there, whether they were day hikers or staying there, let out a cheer of some kind upon getting there. It was kind of funny!

This couple was there:

They would go out late morning and late afternoon. From what I saw, they were catching fish.

Relaxed for the rest of the day, had dinner, and called it an early night. Didn't get too cold, probably low 40s.
Got up and wandered around and took some photos.

Little Twin Lake

Little Twin Lake and Twin Peaks

Big Twin Lake

Wife got up, we had breakfast, and headed up to Silliman Pass.

Beville Lake?

I have no idea what peaks these are:

Some more:

Here's a shot of our camp:

The flowers were spectacular. I'm not sure of the names of most of them, and I need to work on my photographic skills to get better results.

Got back to camp, had lunch, and relaxed the rest of the day.

Carrot/Pineapple salad

Relaxing

Got up Monday morning and hiked out, got showered, and hung out in the park for a few hours. Drove home and was entertained by the fireworks shows, legal and illegal while we drove East on the 210.

Mosquitoes were a 2. Seemed at their worst around 6pm

All of the photos here (if it works): https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share ... _link_copy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by robow8 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Twin Lakes Sequoia NP July 2-4

Post by limpingcrab »

Thanks for sharing! That brought back some memories and the views from the pass are great.

PS. One of those peaks you're unsure about is easy to remember. It's called Table Mountain and you can probably tell which one it is :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Twin Lakes Sequoia NP July 2-4

Post by maverick »

Hi Robow8,

Thank you for the TR and great pictures, really enjoyed the comparison shots and especially the wildflowers ones (Shooting Stars at Twin Lakes). Yes, it is Beville Lake.

Starting from your bear can: Leopard Lily, Shooting Star, Indian Paint Brush, Penstemon, Penstemon, and Alpine Daisy
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org