Drone in 20 Lakes Basin

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Drone in 20 Lakes Basin

Post by Ska-T »

This past July 4th weekend I did a short backpack of the 20 Lakes Basin out of Saddlebag Lake just east of Tioga Pass. On the way back to the car on July 3rd we were hiking the loop clockwise and had just come over Lundy Pass. I was 5 or 10 minutes ahead of my partner and passed a young couple who I said hi to. By the time my partner passed them the guy was taking a drone out of his pack and proceeded to launch it.

"Sorry if I ruin your outdoor experience", he said, "but I'm going to fly my drone."

I had stopped to wait for my partner and heard and saw this drone flying back at the pass and wondered what the hell was going on. I got the story when my friend caught up to me.

All I can say is that guy is lucky I'm not a slower hiker. Am I being unreasonable and old fashioned? Are there any laws yet prohibiting drones from the National Forest or would I be in the wrong for (verbally or otherwise) spanking that young techie's butt?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Drone in 20 Lakes Basin

Post by maverick »

Inyo NFS:
Activities like backpacking, hiking, skiing, mountaineering, and horse camping are allowed. Motorized or mechanical activities, like drones or bicycles, are not allowed in wilderness. There are maintained trails through the area to hike on, but no developed campground facilities. Groups are limited to 15 people or less, in order to preserve the solitude and tranquility of the backcountry.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... 520Permits
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

Thanks, Mav. I going to start carrying a paddle.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

not unreasonable. If appropriately equipped, my response would have been more direct towards the craft.

Had a neighbor's kid drop a drone in the pasture. flew it too high and the wind blew it 1/3 mile downwind. Laws are coming on drones, but more about how/where to fly and licensing. I would prefer the ol' 12 gauge, but that's just me. No drone tag yet, but...

and good luck on the enforcement. Where illegal, the best evidence is the pilot yelling at you in front of a witness, "you broke my drone!".
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

If he hadn't made the statement he had, that might have been a teaching moment on the regulations. But he obviously knew what he was doing may be impacting your Sierra experience (and he was going to do it anyway). So in that situation, myself, I would have found a nice way to pump him for his first and last name, followed by taking some pictures, followed by a smile and informing him I was going to report him. :)

Not really. But daydreaming that scenario turns out awesome.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Pull!! The smile comes after the drone destruction.
Last edited by rlown on Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I would have replied "I hope you don't mind losing your expensive toy, because I'm going to make sure it doesn't come back to you. You can ask at the nearest national forest office where I will turn it in." And hike off, after taking his picture.

Fishing poles, and great accuracy with a treble hook.
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

ERIC wrote:If he hadn't made the statement he had, that might have been a teaching moment on the regulations.
In a perfect world he would be a member here and the teaching moment could still occur. But I doubt that is the case.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »