Rush Creek TH to 1,000 Island Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Brsed
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Rush Creek TH to 1,000 Island Lake

Post by Brsed »

I would like to hike from Silver Lake to Thousand Island Lake, hopefully in a day so we can camp at Thousand Island. It looks like the most direct route is through Spooky Meadow towards Clark Lakes. On the other hand, some internet reports have noted talus and a very steep incline. Hiking with my 14 year old son. Strong kid but the only Sierra hiking we have done is Half Dome / Yosemite. Does anyone have thoughts on the difficulty of taking the shorter route vs adding about 2 miles and going around Gem Lake and then hiking towards Clark Lakes. The incline doesn't bother me as much as the likelihood of a rock slide or injury if the direct route is really primitive. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you.

Brian
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Rush Creek TH to 1,000 Island Lake

Post by maverick »

Would advise to avoid, it is very steep, dusty, hot, and not recommended for the start of a trip with heavy packs. Also keep in mind your talking about 10 miles and 2553 ft of elevation in a day, Clark and Summit Lakes make decent first night campsites if you need.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Going all the way to 1000IL the first day would be a beater and buys you little later in the afternoon when you would arrive. With the sun to the west you get drab flat back lighting and its very likely to be breezy by then along the very open exposed lake.

The world class visual experience is at the east end and for a quarter mile downstream early to mid morning when one is far more likely to experience its calm in front lighting that brings out color and detail. If you camp at Clark/Summit and get up early, pack up, and promptly get on the trail, in short order while feeling refreshed and strong you will walk the short trail into that glorious experience.

Clark Lakes itself is also an outstanding visual experience in late afternoon light because the east side is a steep slope of very colorful mix of volcanic andesite cinders similar to Red Cones near Mammoth Mountain. The same stuff that is mined nearby at Mono Craters and sold across California for landscaping urban yards. A lot of fun climbing up that slope as the colorful little red and purple cinder rocks tumble and roll about all over. And at the Summit Lake brink a great silhouette of the whole Ritter Range at dusk.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/2016_Trip_C ... les-0.html
Brsed
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Brsed »

Great advice. Clark Lakes it is. Thank you both.