TR: Kidd Lakes & Volcanic Lakes, 6/28-7/1

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cunningkeith
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Kidd Lakes & Volcanic Lakes, 6/28-7/1

Post by cunningkeith »

Cool pics. Thanks for sharing. Goat Crest was one of the few bug-free spots on the hike. It sounds to me like that is the pass CC is talking about. If so, I agree that NW is the way to go.

My problem was the next pass over, dropping into Kidd Lakes.
maverick wrote:From the photo's you had a lot of clouds, any rain or thunderstorms?
Yes! That actually made the climb up to Grouse Lake on the first day much more bearable. It was overcast and I had a few sprinkles going up to Grouse Lake. I lucked out on that.

On Day 2, I had a decent amount of rain and a few T-storms while going over Kidd Pass. The rain probably lasted about two hours. Although I heard thunder, I never saw any lightening. The area is not totally exposed, although I would not have been happy if lightening had occurred. The Volcanic Lakes area is totally open with nowhere to hide, so I'm glad I had perfect weather when I was in that basin.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

I went there 6 or 7 times and spent 15-20 days and never once got a drop of rain. Great Luck for a great place. In all those days I (we) never saw another person at Kidd Lakes.
Here is a rare pic from above of the only Kid Lake with fish.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ERIC »

Let's please try to stay on topic.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix