TR: Kidd Lakes & Volcanic Lakes, 6/28-7/1

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cunningkeith
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: Kidd Lakes & Volcanic Lakes, 6/28-7/1

Post by cunningkeith »

I just finished a great trip up the Copper Creek trail. I camped three nights off-trail w/out seeing anybody any of the nights. Thanks to everybody who provided info to me while planning this trip.
The basic route was: up Copper Creek Trail, then to Grouse Lake, then over to Glacier Lakes/Kidd Lakes, then down to Volcanic Lakes, and home.

The hike up to Grouse Lake was tough, and I didn't hit the trail until 2:45. The ranger cautioned me on hitting the trail this late, but I was suffering from a bad case of destination-itis and thought that I could make it to Grouse Lake that night. Luckily, I just got there before dark.

Here is a shot from the next morning coming out of Grouse Lake looking south

Grouse Pass was snow-free and easy. There were great views of Glacier Basin on the other side.

The north side of Goat Crest Saddle was carrying some snow, but it was easy to navigate around the west side.

Cutting E/SE toward Kid lake Basin, I took Kid Pass, as described hereviewtopic.php?f=31&t=13433#p100673.

The south side of Kidd Pass turned out to be the trickiest part of the whole trip. The route description (which I much appreciate!) states that once on the south side of Kidd Pass, you should follow the ridge SE. I did this, but must have dropped to the lake below too soon because it was very tough and steep. In the future, I would recommend going farther SE or (perhaps even easier) going SW once on the south side of Kidd Pass, as the relief looks more forgiving to me on the SW side.

Kid Lake Basin has some beautiful views looking north

Kid Lake Basin seemed the wildest and most remote section of the trip to me. In fact, when I told the ranger at the start of the trip that I was going there, she asked me to point it out on a map. So I'm guessing that this is not a popular spot.

The next day I went over Glacier Saddle to the highest Glacier Lake, then followed the drainage down though Glacier Valley to the State Lakes Trail. I head W and SW to the Kennedy Trail (tough to follow this unmaintained trail) to Lake 9702 and then went off-trail up the Volcanic Lakes. This was a long day from Kidd Lakes to Volcanic Lakes.

Volcanic Lakes were stunning

There is a cool and easy (strenuous but not difficult) exit out of Volcanic Lakes from the SE-most Volcanic Lake up two gullies and over to Granite Pass. From there, I hiked the long, knee-destroying Copper Creek Trail to my car.

A few notes on conditions:

--Snow was a non-factor; only a few remaining patches of snow remained and they were easy to avoid or walk on.

--Bugs were a major factor, requiring a headnet while in camp; the only bright side was that the mosquitoes were not at full-adult size, so their bites weren't terrible (that's the optimist in me ;) )

Once again, thanks to everybody for the great pre-trip info. It really was an awesome trip.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Kidd Lakes & Volcanic Lakes, 6/28-7/1

Post by maverick »

Was waiting for this TR and pictures Kieth and they were well worth it. Yeah afternoon start are not the best for Copper Creek, especially on a hot day. From the photo's you had a lot of clouds, any rain or thunderstorms?

The south side of Kidd Pass turned out to be the trickiest part of the whole trip. The route description (which I much appreciate!) states that once on the south side of Kidd Pass, you should follow the ridge SE. I did this, but must have dropped to the lake below too soon because it was very tough and steep. In the future, I would recommend going farther SE or (perhaps even easier) going SW once on the south side of Kidd Pass, as the relief looks more forgiving to me on the SW side.
Yes you should have gone further southwest on Kidd Pass, the ledge system is steep if one drops to soon.

There is a cool and easy (strenuous but not difficult) exit out of Volcanic Lakes from the SE-most Volcanic Lake up two gullies and over to Granite Pass.
You are referring to the pass east of Lake 10288 (between 10284 and 10288), correct? Have used this one, but if there is another one please do tell.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cunningkeith
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by cunningkeith »

maverick wrote:You are referring to the pass east of Lake 10288 (between 10284 and 10288), correct? Have used this one, but if there is another one please do tell.
Yep. It starts out of the NE corner of Lake 10288 and climbs NE almost all the way to the top. I reached a meadow at the top of the first gully and hiked south for 300 yards or so and picked up a second gully that took me to the high, flat area that provides a straight shot to Granite Pass.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I went over that pass FIVE TIMES or six and I'll guarantee you that the Northwest side is the best place to go down. On that route one time I saw a horseshoe somewhat near the top and although I was surprised I knew that because that route was EASILY the best I supposed that it was possible to take a mule over it. IT''S THAT EASY.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

On that route one time I saw a horseshoe somewhat near the top
What year was that CC?

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

My first time over Goat Crest was 1972
I saw the horeshoe about 1974
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

That's me 1972
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I probably saw it in 1976.
In 1974 (saint) Diane and I went over the pass and it was snowed in. I decided that the easiest way down was to slide down (nearly a huge error). I let my pack go and shortly followed it down. It was a lot faster that I anticipaded but I kept my cool and didn't let go of my rain poncho (my sled). Once down I was too far from Diane to communicate with her so I waited for her below. She let her pack go down and then followed it. Going a lot faster that she wanted to go she let out a scream (fortunately not too loud) and part way down she somewhat panicked and let go of her poncho to use her hands to slow down. This made her bare legs exposed to snow moving VERY fast. She had a hell of a snow burn (it bled). She put up with this (my crap) and others and now you know one reason I refered to her as (saint) Diane. Anyone married to me almost has to be a (saint). My current wite is (saint) Marilin. She puts up with less because I've mellowed a lot. She's still one hell of a (saint).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Just to make sure we are talking about the same pass, the one between Volcanic and Granite Lake CC.

Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

(saint) Diane
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.