TR: Sabrina Basin, June 25-27

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Sabrina Basin, June 25-27

Post by SSSdave »

Rockyroad wrote:... In sort of a contrast to the other thread about thru-hiking, I started thinking how I really enjoyed the lower mileage and slower pace for a change, especially when I was already in a nice place and didn't need to get anywhere quickly.
Indeed why spend all one's waking hours like a pack mule when one could be free of one's weighty load hehawing in a meadow chewing soft fresh green grasses and dainty wildflowers, while sipping cold clear water in the fresh stream all day.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Rockyroad wrote:
giantbrookie wrote:Nice report. So, I guess the most important question is: what did your daughters think of the trip? Will they ask to go on another backpacking trip with you? Looks promising.
They both enjoyed the trip. I think it was the perfect length in terms of physical exertion and days away for them plus they got to see a prime area of the Sierra. They said they would like to go again next year but maybe a bit later in the year, past the peak mosquito season.
That's outstanding. Best wishes to future trips. I hope my kids will want to backpack with me when they grow up.
Regarding mosquitoes, whereas they tend to be more numerous early in the season, the local weather at the time of the trip is crucial, too. I've found the keys are nightime temps and wind. In early season, even in otherwise mosquito infested areas, relatively cool nights and a constant wind will keep the mosquitoes away. I've been in seemingly dry areas during times of warm nighttime temps and still air during the day and been swarmed, whereas I've walked through areas that are normally mosquito hell with a stiff breeze and not been bothered at all (the intimidating name of Big Wet Meadow in Cloud Canyon was an example of a surprisingly mosquito free experience owing to a nice breeze when passing through). I check the NWS (NOAA) weather site and click on the specific areas I plan to be in to get some idea (of the night temps and wind) as well as the usual reason for checking (ie chance of afternoon thunderstorms etc.).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tonydavid
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Tonydavid »

Great report and photos! Taking my 13 year old son July 15-27 somewhere in Sierras. We need plan and don't have permits. This looks interesting.
1. Any idea what mosquitoes might be like during that time?
2. What was your itinerary, mileage and campsites?
3. We would like to do easy-moderate 3-4 night trip - recommendations? We like big mountain views, lakes, photography, day hike possibilities,
Thank you!
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Tonydavid wrote:Great report and photos! Taking my 13 year old son July 15-27 somewhere in Sierras. We need plan and don't have permits. This looks interesting.
1. Any idea what mosquitoes might be like during that time?
2. What was your itinerary, mileage and campsites?
3. We would like to do easy-moderate 3-4 night trip - recommendations? We like big mountain views, lakes, photography, day hike possibilities,
Thank you!
I don't know how the mosquitoes will be in July but giantbrookie has some good suggestions for checking the weather. I used the NOAA website to pinpoint locations to check forecasted temperatures and wind speeds but also found that they were changing every day. You should plan for mosquitoes.

We had a relatively easy itinerary for our 3 day trip. Camped at Blue lake the first night which was about 3-3.5 miles in, ~1300' net up. 2nd night at Sailor Lake but we did some exploring around Moonlight Falls. Mileage was probably around 3.5mi. And on the third day, we backtracked out. You and your son could probably do more, especially with 4-5 days. You could also head up to Hungry Packer Lake and/or Midnight Lake but if you look at a map, you'll see that the basin isn't really that large. Echo Lake might also be a good destination although I've never been there so wouldn't know if that cross-country travel would work out for your son. Good luck!