3 days two nights in southern Emigrant 7/6-8

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

3 days two nights in southern Emigrant 7/6-8

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I finagled a couple of days off this week and plan to head from Crabtree to Rosasco lake on day one. Then going to Pingree-Kole-Leighton/ Karls on day two. Then head out on the main trail day 3. I know I may have to deal with masses of the bloodsuckers but I really want to see this country and this may be my only shot this year.

I'm a level three backpacker with minimal Xcountry experience. However, while I've not always found the place I've been looking for I've never really been lost.

Question. Will I hate myself if I skip Hyatt? Or will I hate myself for putting the extra miles on by heading down and back up to Pingree?
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 3 days two nights in southern Emigrant 7/6-8

Post by maverick »

Question. Will I hate myself if I skip Hyatt? Or will I hate myself for putting the extra miles on by heading down and back up to Pingree?
Why not set up at Big Lake and go visit both Hyatt and Pingree?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I went in through Rosaco and did skip Hyatt, and I don't hate myself, although I am curious about that lake. I would hate myself if I had skipped Big Lake and the granite between it and Pingree. This was my trip report from a couple weeks ago.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14590
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Mav. The problem is that I only have three days so I need to be at Karls lake, or there abouts, on the second night if I plan to get out before dark. If I hit both of the lakes on day two that will give me it looks like about 10 miles off trail and I'm afraid that will be too much for this guy.

So Kpeter, I think that I will just hit Big lake and then backtrack out to hit Pingree and then up to Karls. That will cut a couple of miles off my day.
BTW I enjoyed your trip report. Two years ago I actually went down that wall to North fork Cherry Creek. :eek:

Thanks for the input guys.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
justm
Topix Regular

Post by justm »

Hyatt is beautiful , but has poor camping spots, and it takes some time to get around the lake. There is a cross country route from Rosasco to Hyatt, but it's a lot of bushwhacking .