TR Ten Lakes Basin 6/30 - 7/3

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
RaiderFanMan
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR Ten Lakes Basin 6/30 - 7/3

Post by RaiderFanMan »

DSCN4329 (Copy).JPG
Spent 3 days in Ten Lakes Basin fishing and day hiking. Ten Lakes trail free of snow all the way from the trailhead to Ten Lakes Basin. Trail has not been cleared of downed trees yet. Approx 10 dead fall trees that block the trail but easy to navigate around. Fish were biting well at Lakes 1, 3 and 6 that we visited. Mosquitos a 3 as expected this early in the season. Not as crowded as one would have expected for the holiday weekend around Lake 1. Leaving Yosemite there was a 3-4 mile back up of cars trying to get in at approx. 2pm on Sun July 3. Glad to not have to deal with that crazy mess of humanity!!
Highlight of the trip was seeing a bald eagle soaring above Lake 6 while eating lunch. Pretty amazing seeing them in a setting like Ten Lakes basin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NVRDUNN
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: TR Ten Lakes Basin 6/30 - 7/3

Post by NVRDUNN »

Our local Boy Scout troop was at Ten Lakes last weekend 6/25-26, of which my son is part of and was on the trip. Sounds about what they saw last weekend too. Half Moon Meadow area for them was a bit spongy and some snow in the basin. Awesome pictures!
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

This is a perfict place to take kids. I took my sons there 2 years in a row. The second year Jim caught this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RaiderFanMan
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by RaiderFanMan »

Now that is a nice fish for that young man to reel in!! A great place for kids to explore, fish, swim, and just have fun in the outdoors as all kids should experience. Well done dad taking your boys out into the wilderness to experience the beauty of nature.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thanks for the TR and pictures. How were the wildflowers at Half Moon Meadow and Lake 8947?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice report to destination with lots of "tradition". Ten Lakes have been popular for so long, yet they continue to deliver great experiences for their visitors, including on the fishing end. I still remember a photo up on the wall of my old dentist's office in downtown Oakland. I believe he was in fact a Raider Fan, too--He was certainly a huge Cal Bears fan (and alumnus). I think the photo was taken in the 60's. He had this stringer of absurdly huge rainbows from the Ten Lakes. Perhaps the fish aren't quite so large as back then, but they're still respectable, as is the case for many destinations along the Yosemite 120 corridor.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;