Downloading Topos with embedded GPS info for GAIA app

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
jrad
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Downloading Topos with embedded GPS info for GAIA app

Post by jrad »

How does one find already-GPS embedded topo maps to use with GAIA app on smart phone? Maybe I am confused but I think there are maps already annotated for use with my GAIA app.

I know already how to use Gmap4 and such and already have nice topos entered into my smartphone for use w/o any signal, which is the default situation 98% of the time.

But say my phone has GPS signals (nearly 100% of the time versus the 2% of the time when I have cell signal), aren't there maps that I could have downloaded already with built-in GPS coordinates?

The idea is, using the GPS from my phone, I can then see exactly where on a map I am w/o any cell signal otherwise.

So where does one get these interactive, annotated, downloadable maps?

I am interested in Sequoia/KK and Ansel Adams Wilderness for starters.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0g7iripf0vvet ... 0.jpg?dl=0

If interested, I used Corel Draw graphics software to align, annotate screenshots and used the WONDERFUL "Screenshot Captor V.4.13.0" software (free but so valuable I paid them $50 immediately) to get the shots off Gmap4 site.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Downloading Topos with embedded GPS info for GAIA app

Post by ERIC »

New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix