flying with a full bear canister

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
milkfish
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

flying with a full bear canister

Post by milkfish »

How do you guys fly with your canister? I'm not sure if I want it in my carry-on or checked luggage. It's certainly more convenient in my checked bag but I'm slightly worried about TSA opening it and not really caring if they close it properly (it's a bearikade, so not just a simple screw top). It's currently loaded up for 6 days on the trail, you have to press the lid down pretty good to turn the locks and seal it up. I definitely don't want to get to LA and find my duffle full of trail mix and dehydrated food.

On the other hand it's cumbersome to say the least for bringing it in my carry-on.

What are your experiences?
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: flying with a full bear canister

Post by The Other Tom »

I have to fly when I travel to the Sierra. I pack my backpack, as I normally would for hiking, including bear can, and put it in my checked duffel with my hiking poles, etc. Never had any problem.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

I just got back from a trip to the Sierra via LAS. Seems like TSA in AUS is more curious than those in my jumping off/return points, LAX or LAS as I usually see the friendly calling card in my duffel. This time an Ursack and a BV were loaded and only checked at AUS. (It was locked upon getting to LAS)I assume unopened as they could see in? Couldn't open it? Couldn't care about that part? Or just re xray it? Really don't know what their formula is for a yellow/red flag.
Bottom line I'd just check it with the rest, I've yet to have an issue. But you could carry it on and plead your case rather than get the unknown.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

my wife and i checked two fully tetris'd, packed-to-the-brim bv500s last year.
TSA opened mine (not hers) and went through the entire thing.
i had to redo the entire can in cali.
though to the TSA's credit, they managed to get most of the food back inside and close it up.
rayfound
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by rayfound »

If only airport security had some kind of technology that would allow them to examine contents without ripping everything open. Maybe like those special machines the dentists have. That would be so cool!

/s
/FrequentFlyer Rant over