Planning a trip to Nine Lake Basin in Mid September

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Planning a trip to Nine Lake Basin in Mid September

Post by KevinDo »

Hello Fellow Sierra Enthusiast!

Just got pneumonia so my backpacking season has prematurely ended :(. BUT there is still Fall time! I was hoping to head out to Hamilton Lake and Precipice via the HST in mid-September before the weather goes south.

Level 4 and Class 3 experience BUT I have no intention of doing Pant's pass or anything of the sorts for this trip.

My trip itineraries looks like this for now

Day 1: Camp at Lodgepole and try to secure a walk-in permit on a Monday/Tuesday.
Day 2: If permit process goes as planned, depart from Crescent Meadows and make the 14 mile trek to Big Hamilton and call it a day
Day 3: Thought about day hiking it up to Precipice but is it worth going into Nine Lake Basin and camping at one of the Lakes there?
Day 4: Depart Nine Lake Basin and head back to Big Hamilton for another night (the misses will definitely NOT want to head back to the trailhead all at once #-o
Day 5: Head back to Crescent Meadow

So in total, 3 nights 4 day trip.
http://caltopo.com/m/HASM

OR

As the significant other is hesitant about the first day distance and elevation gain,
Day 1: Camp at Lodgepole and try to secure a walk-in permit on a Monday/Tuesday.
Day 2: If permit process goes as planned, depart from Crescent Meadows and make the 10 mile trek to Bearpaw Meadows and call it a day
Day 3:Head up to Big Hamilton and call it a short day, Day Hike it to Precipice
Day 4: Head Back to Bearpaw (Or Tamarack Lake worth it?) or just exit (depends if we feel like 15 mile day)
Day 5: Exit for sure

Look forward to your thoughts! I promise I'll come back with lots of photos and a trip report!

Much appreciated,
-Kevin
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Planning a trip to Nine Lake Basin in Mid September

Post by maverick »

Level 4 and Class 3 experience BUT I have no intention of doing Pant's pass or anything of the sorts for this trip.
Is this because of the misses, only asking because you could use one of the Lion Rock Passes (class 2) at the northern end of Nine Lakes Basin and descend to pretty Lion Lake and beautiful Tamarack Lake, thereby seeing the Valhalla to Mt. Stewart ridgeline from both sides. This would make a pretty circuit, but LRP is not a walk in the park but it ain't no Pants Pass or Kaweah Pass either.
Would add at least an extra day to this if you consider it.

PS Wishing you speedy recovery!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Post by KevinDo »

The misses dreads xc routes haha. Trying to get her to like the whole backpacking aspect more.... Can't burn the bridges too soon ^_^. Will have to take a look at this option. I think class 2 should be fine for her!

Thanks for the input!
cahiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by cahiker »

The backpackers camp area at Bearpaw Meadow is forested and kind of boring and crowded in my opinion. If you go with your 2nd option I would consider camping sooner on the first day at Buck Creek. Hamilton Lake is gorgeous (although crowded). Precipice has a stark beauty. There are small spots where you can maybe squeeze in, but no large campsites near the lake (at least that I saw). 9 Lakes Basin is very scenic with lots of nice places to camp and explore. If you make it to Hamilton Lake your first night, I think the hike to 9 Lakes Basin will be easier. Whatever you do it should be a great trip.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Nine Lakes Basin is a really cool place to go. I didn't do much for me because there were almost no fish there but since you're not going to fish I would highly recomend it.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Last time I went to Nine Lakes Basin, I drove down and got a permit at 1:30 PM. Then got on the trail at 2:30 and hiked to Mehrten Creek which has really nice campsites on a rock bench above the trail. Of course, there has to be water in Mehrten Creek- probably not a problem this year. I really HATE Bearpaw! From Mehrten Creek to Hamilton Lake is quite a nice day. I caught fish in Nine Lakes Basin last year - not big ones but plenty of 8-10 inchers caught in about an hour to eat for dinner. A really cool climb is Mt Stewart from Keweah Gap. It has a wonderful view. Easy class 3.
tekisui0
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tekisui0 »

I love Nine Lakes Basin, upper Big Arroyo and Precipice!!!
Such an extraordinary area :D