TR: Pine Creek 6/24-26

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
ksenn
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

TR: Pine Creek 6/24-26

Post by ksenn »

I took 4 friends up Pine Creek for the weekend. For 3 of them, it was their first backpacking trip! A lot of fun. The weather was perfect, no smoke until Sunday and then just barely.
DSC02833.JPG
DSC02836.JPG
DSC02839.JPG
DSC02845.JPG

We left San Diego around 1130 and made it to the trailhead around 630. Everyone was a good sport about the mosquito's and the night hiking as we made it to Pine Lake well after dark. Luckily, the water at the log crossing below Pine Lake was just under the log when we got there.

The next day we moved our camp up to Honeymoon Lake. It seemed like they really liked the adventurous mid-calf to knee high water crossings along the way.
DSC02868.JPG
DSC02880.JPG
After getting our stuff squared away at the lake, we headed up into Granite Park through snow and more water crossings.
DSC02896 (1).JPG
DSC02900 (1).JPG
DSC02903 (1).JPG
My more experienced friend and I had a plan of putting our ice axes and crampons to use and getting up Mt. Julius Caesar. The new guys were pretty beat by the time we got within view of Italy Pass. The new guys had decided they had had enough and wanted to check out the frozen lake nearby and head back to camp. Soon my friend and I were post holing our way toward Italy Pass. Once we got to the steepish part, we broke out the axes, but didn't need the crampons.
DSC02919.JPG
DSC02926 (1).JPG
DSC02930 (1).JPG
cont...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ksenn on Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason
Topix Regular

Re: TR: Pine Creek 6/24-26

Post by Jason »

Not sure what's happening, but I can't see your photos........ anyone else having an issue?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

not seeing them either. It's a google photos permissions problem.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Pictures not showing for me either.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ksenn
Topix Novice

Post by ksenn »

I started to really feel the elevation toward the top of Julius Caesar. I slowed down a bunch and continued to be two steps, sit, two steps, sit for a lot of the way down.
DSC02930 (1).JPG
DSC02931.JPG
DSC02932.JPG
DSC02933.JPG
DSC02934.JPG
We summitted around 7 and didn't make it back to camp until 1030, thanks to my condition and navigating the here and there trail in the dark.

The next morning we took our time getting our stuff together and headed out, making it back to the cars around 1.
DSC02951.JPG
DSC02966 (1).JPG
DSC02968.JPG
DSC02985 (1).JPG
Great time out sharing the mountains with some new folks. Hopefully, they get back out there sometime soon!

PS it took waaay too long to post all these pictures. sheesh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

ksenn wrote:PS it took waaay too long to post all these pictures. sheesh
The first time does indeed take a while, but it gets faster after you've done it a few times. I use photobucket and that goes pretty quick for posting TRs with pics. Plus everyone on HST really appreciates seeing the photos of your trip and being able to go along with you vicariously. Thanks for your efforts! :)
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you for getting the pictures up, worth the short wait. :)
Nice shots from the summit, really like the one looking down at Chalfant Lakes. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

Jason wrote:Not sure what's happening, but I can't see your photos........ anyone else having an issue?

I can see them now.......... worth the wait. Thanks for the report. Looks like an awesome trip.
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

Thanks! I may be a bit west and southwest of there this weekend so seeing the views from Julius Caeser is informative.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report and for taking the time to post the photos! Totally agreed that it takes a while, but it certainly is appreciated.