1st. North Lake to South Lake

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Maps

Post by frediver »

And now that the question of maps has been brought up I have one of my own?
BTW I am using the Tom Harrison, Bishop Pass Map, for preliminary trip planning.

My question:
It could be that I just don't know how to use my map software, I have the Ca. Topo Series and De Lorme C.D.'s

Is it possible to print out a 7.5 min or 15 Min. (?) map on 8X10 or the large adventure paper ? What I was thinking of is to print the entire map pane on a smaller paper size and use a magnifying lens to read the map,
can this be done ? My printer has the resolution ability necessary to make this work, I just am not sure how to do it.
langenbacher
Topix Acquainted

Post by langenbacher »

snusmumriken wrote: Question: What would be a good topo map? Is there one that covers the area from Dusy Basin to Humphrey Basin in sufficient detail for cross country travel?
not all in a single map, but try http://langenbacher.org/Maps/37071837MtDarwin.png for starters.

http://casil.ucdavis.edu/mapsurfer/, The California Map Surfer! for the high resolution topo quads

http://svinetfc4.fs.fed.us/rastergatewa ... r5/r5.html for lower res but better quality topo quad scans. Unfortunately they don't include quads without National Forest land in them
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

snusmumriken wrote:I'm reading all this with great interest. Doing a trip with a Sierra Club group to Humphrey basin this summer and may have some days before or after the trip to do some more exploring in the area.

Question: What would be a good topo map? Is there one that covers the area from Dusy Basin to Humphrey Basin in sufficient detail for cross country travel?
This bridges two Harrison maps: Kings Canyon and Mono Divide. I'm not a huge fan of the Harrison series because the shaded relief tends to obscure the topo (shaded relief is a gimmick for folks that don't like topp), although I like the fact that their scale is near the old 62.5k (actually 63.6k--basically the same) and that they're printed on durable waterproof paper. My preference for this area is to use the two very compact (owing to the way they are folded) and waterproof Wilderness Press maps: they're waterproof versions of the out-of-print USGS Mt. Abbot and Mt Goddard 15' quads with updates to the roads and trails. Each map actually includes the "important part" (ie western and higher part) of the Mt. Tom and Big Pine 15' quads. This is key, since Humphreys Basin is actually on the old Mt. Tom quad rather than Mt. Abbot. The ultimate planning and daydreaming map is still the 3 map USFS John Muir Wilderness-Sequoia-Kings Canyon map, although a Humphreys Basin to Dusy trip will still cross map boundaries and the regular paper of the great 3 map set tends to tear after a few unfoldings and foldings.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
snusmumriken
Topix Regular

Post by snusmumriken »

Thanks for the map suggestions everybody. I think I'll get the Tom Harrison ones to start with.
eugene
Topix Newbie

Post by eugene »

I just want to throw in my 2 cents. I did a South Lake to North Lake a few years back as my first trip in the Sierras. What a great hike! Evolution is a must stay. There are some good campsites on the downstream end of the valley. You can sit at the waterfall and either look down into the adjoining basin, or turn you back the other way and look back up into Evolution valley. Either view is great.

Lamark Col was easy. We spent the night in Darwin and came out at North Lake. It would definitely be a haul going up that the first day, but there should be a pretty defined use trail.