Thru-hiker Envy

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Thru-hiker Envy

Post by maverick »

Have read numerous people write the following statement "I've always envied JMT or PCT thru-hikers".

My question are:

Have you every envied the thru-hiking style, whether JMT or PCT, if yes, why?

What is it about them that appeals to you, is it that they can cover so many miles a day, that they can spend so much time in the wilderness at one time, or maybe both of these reasons? Maybe something else?

Who during their backpacking careers have started off admiring or even participating in this style of backpacking but have changed their styles as they progressed thru there careers, what changed your thinking?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Re: Thru-hiker Envy

Post by ERIC »

I'm envious of the lengthy, uninterrupted time they are able to get away for. Nothing more.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Fly Guy Dave
Topix Expert

Post by Fly Guy Dave »

I admire their drive and stamina, but I know myself well enough that I would not enjoy that kind of backpacking. I like to go slow and appreciate where I am; the sights, the sounds, the smells and of course do a lot of fishing, so the idea of grinding out so many miles a day doesn't seem like a lot of fun to me. But to each their own...
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --The Dude (Jeff Lebowski)

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I'm envious of the lengthy, uninterrupted time they are able to get away for. Nothing more.
I hear you Eric.

Having done a few hikes that fall into this thru-hiker category, the length of then uninterrupted time spent is great, but the quality is extremely lacking or nonexistent for me. Thru-hikes at there fast pace is not a satisfying experience to me any more, the fast pace is beneficial and used to get from point A to point B, or in case of an emergency. This fast pace of hiking does not allow me to experience the flavor of the land, and most places in the Sierra deserve at least a minimum of 2-3 days or much more depending on there size and remoteness. Witnessing the land under different conditions like sunlight, moonlight, clouds, stormy conditions, or in a particular season can present a unique and different joy to all of one's senses, that is if one dedicates time to a particular section, arriving to a location after hiking all day, then eating, cleansing, sleeping, and then back on the trail early in the morning allows no time at all to soak in or to experience the treasures that any particular area has to offer and is not appealing to me.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

Fly Guy Dave wrote:I admire their drive and stamina, but I know myself well enough that I would not enjoy that kind of backpacking. I like to go slow and appreciate where I am; the sights, the sounds, the smells and of course do a lot of fishing, so the idea of grinding out so many miles a day doesn't seem like a lot of fun to me. But to each their own...
That is pretty much the way I feel. My preferences have changed over time. No longer have the need nor desire to prove something to others or myself.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Ooh, I wanna take you down to Kokomo
We'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kokomo
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Ooh, I wanna take you down to Kokomo
We'll get there fast and then we'll take it slow
That's where we wanna go
Way down to Kokomo
You can sing that Beach Boys song to us at the Meet-up Jim, but make sure you brush up on the lyrics while at Dinkey. :D

giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

ERIC wrote:I'm envious of the lengthy, uninterrupted time they are able to get away for. Nothing more.
Yes, this is pretty much my view. We'd all like that much time off. OK, officially I do in fact have that much time off, but functionally.....

It occurs to me that I didn't answer the rest of the original question, so I'll add a few answers in this edit:
Everyone has different reasons as to why they'd like that much time off and for those of us who might want to devote large chunks of said time off to being the High Sierra, the ways we'd envision spending it vary tremendously by the individual. I've never had the slightest desire to through hike a major Sierra trail. I enjoy off trail travel and its improvised routes far too much to stick to a "trail highway". If there are particular reaches of trail that provide the most efficient way to get me where I want to go, then I may be on such a trail for a little bit. I may also find myself on certain sections of trail that are particularly scenic and enjoyable or have destinations of stand-alone appeal along them. In fact the freedom I enjoy so much from off trail travel also means I do not wish to follow a pre-planned off trail route such as the SHR except along specific reaches for the reasons given above for trails. My preferences in the High Sierra have changed through time, but not my aversion to the concept of through hiking.

When I was a kid and teen, my main aims, influenced heavily by my dad, were to climb summits and I think my enjoyment of off trail route finding began there. The biggest change for me happened in the 1980's (approximately my 20s) when I transitioned to peak-first to fish-first.

As far as other sorts of envy for some of the physical attributes of (some) through hikers, I still have the physical capability of covering long distances in comparatively short periods of time, but I don't seek to apply this to marking off mile posts on a super long trail. Instead the speed is a means to an end rather than an end in itself. With limited free time, use the legs and lungs to do a normal 8+day off trail backpack trip in 5 days or to do a 2-3 day backpack trip as a dayhike. In addition, greater hiking speed means more fishing time. That having been said, I don't treat the hiking as merely a means to get to the destination. I try to take it comfortably beneath maximum speed so that I can enjoy it, rather than suffer as if I'm in an endurance race competing for time.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by brandy »

ERIC wrote:I'm envious of the lengthy, uninterrupted time they are able to get away for. Nothing more.
Absolutely. To me it is less about the accomplishment and more about the ability.

When I think about doing the JMT, it is because I want to see every step of that trail. I know I probably COULD bust it out in the short amount of time I would be able to be away from work and home. I know I wouldn't love doing it that quickly, though. I want the time to be able to enjoy and take it all in.
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

It's clear from the responses so far that Eric nailed it. I suspect that there is some transference going on as well......... the reason that you "want" to do a thru hike may have less to do with the hike and more to do with the time off and flexibility.