Ediza 4th of July weekend

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
brandy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Ediza 4th of July weekend

Post by brandy »

I have permits for Ediza Lake this weekend beginning on Sunday. We are arriving on Saturday and have reservations in the Twin Lakes campground in Mammoth for one night and then we will head out Sunday morning. If I'm reading right, we could drive down early before the entrance station opens at 7:00 a.m. and park at the trailhead, is that correct? Otherwise we will need to buy tickets for the shuttle for two days.

Also...this will be a first backpacking trip for my boyfriend and my first trip to Ediza. Since we are off until Tuesday, I had planned to do Ediza the first night, Thousand Island Lake the second night and continue the loop out of the third day. I don't want to overwhelm him...is Thousand Island Lake a must see? Would you just stay put at Ediza Lake for two nights and day hike around there? If we choose to stay put, what would you suggest for day hikes?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Ediza 4th of July weekend

Post by maverick »

Hi Brandy,

Yes you can drive down and park at Agnew Meadows before 7 am, eliminating the hassles of using the shuttle.

If your boyfriend is in good shape (hiking with a pack too), then definitely do the loop, go see 1000 Is Lake and exit via the High Trail (great scenery) back to Agnew. Take a day hike to beautiful Iceberg Lake from Ediza, try to time your visit early in morning so there is no breeze, the reflection of the Minarets in it is gorgeous! You can also hike up to the bottom of Ritter by following the use trail that follows the creek emanating from the area, and if you have some energy left climb up to the ridgeline to get a peak into the Nydiver Lakes Basin.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
brandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by brandy »

Awesome...thank you Maverick. I am so stinking excited about this trip, it's not even funny. I always forget to book permits until too late and finally remembered this year! :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Try to camp in the forested section on the northern side of 1000 Is Lake, most people set up near the shoreline which creates a big bear problem at 1000 Is Lake. Get up before sunrise and watch the sunrise from Island Pass above 1000 Is Lake, gorgeous view of the lake and Banner Peak. :nod:
Camp at the southern end (less people) or western side of Ediza (where most people camp), away from all the folks who are illegally camping near the shoreline and right next to the trail. :rolleyes:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Ediza has a no camping zone along the east shore of the lake that is also the most scenic. Where one can legally camp along the west shore is down in a hole with blocked by hemlock views of the famous peaks west, ho hum views across the lake eastward, with all camp spots heavily used beat up. Far far better to wander up the south side of the southwest inlet stream and find a camps pot just below the 2880 meter line on the topo. From there the lake is visible below with Two Teats in the background and one has open views of The Minarets, Ritter, and Banner. Also likely to not have any neighbors. Just above is a beautiful meadow with the 3 heathers blooming and world class views.

Trying to fit in Ediza and 1000 Island Lake on one 2-night 3 day visit is too busy especially for a first time backpacker. Believe me, your boyfriend will likely be happier not spending his whole trip with a weighty pack strapped to the back looking down at a trail. Save the rest for another trip. There is enough interesting things about Ediza over several days much less one trail weary recovering afternoon and following morning. Besides Iceberg Lake Maverick mentioned, for a day 2 visit, you could later also hike up the broad canyon below Mt. Ritter. And if you have even more energy could continue up to the easy saddle just north of Nydiver 3082 in order to look down on Garnet Lake and the Nydivers.
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

maverick wrote:Hi Brandy,

Yes you can drive down and park at Agnew Meadows before 7 am, eliminating the hassles of using the shuttle.
I was confused about this as well as the shuttle information page seems to indicate otherwise:
The following exceptions may drive into the valley. Visitors who:
Arrive before 7:00 a.m. or after 7:00 p.m.

-Are staying overnight at the Reds Meadow Resort or at any designated campground in the valley. Backpackers must use the shuttle system.
Is the no parking a change because the campground is closed this year?
-------------
Dave | flickr
brandy
Topix Acquainted

Post by brandy »

SirBC wrote:
maverick wrote:Hi Brandy,

I was confused about this as well as the shuttle information page seems to indicate otherwise:

-Are staying overnight at the Reds Meadow Resort or at any designated campground in the valley. Backpackers must use the shuttle system.
Is the no parking a change because the campground is closed this year?

Oh...I think I missed that part! I don't mind taking the shuttle. It will take the pressure off of breaking camp early at Twin Lakes and rushing to get down there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Please reread that info and concentrate on the last exception SirBC:
DPP NPS:

EXCEPTIONS TO THE SHUTTLE BUS

- Are staying overnight at the Reds Meadow Resort or at any designated campground in the valley. Backpackers must use the shuttle system.

- Have a cartop boat or inflated float tube for use on valley lakes (there are no boat launches in the valley)

- Are towing a livestock trailer and intend to use livestock on valley trails.

- Display a handicap placard or plates.

- Hunters transporting weapons or game.

- Arrive outside of shuttle bus operating hours or seasons.

SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

I was hoping to drive in, so that works for me :)
-------------
Dave | flickr
rsm333
Topix Acquainted

Post by rsm333 »

This a very do-able hike and a great intro to the Eastern Sierra. My only concern would be acclimatization..once you get up to Shadow Lake, most of the hike is just under 10K, so take it easy/slow on your boyfriend. I agree about camping at 1000 Island...climb up the short hill on the North side of the lake can camp up there...better views, fewer people.