2016 Mosquito Reports

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Sabrina Basin 6/25 - 6/27

Post by Matthewkphx »

Rockyroad wrote:Blue Lake 2
Trail to upper basin until around 10,900’ ranged from 2-4
We stayed at Sailor Lake which had a nice breeze so ranged from 1-2
I'm headed up to this area on 7/15 for a couple nights. Would anyone take a guess about whether the mosquito situation is likely to be better, worse or the same in 2.5 weeks?
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Sabrina Basin 6/25 - 6/27

Post by Rockyroad »

Matthewkphx wrote:
Rockyroad wrote:Blue Lake 2
Trail to upper basin until around 10,900’ ranged from 2-4
We stayed at Sailor Lake which had a nice breeze so ranged from 1-2
I'm headed up to this area on 7/15 for a couple nights. Would anyone take a guess about whether the mosquito situation is likely to be better, worse or the same in 2.5 weeks?
I don't know how the situation will be in 2 weeks, but even in the level 4 areas, we were fine traveling with head nets, long sleeve shirts, and pants. I brought repellent but didn't use it. We got a few bites on our hands and legs when they were exposed while crossing streams. Good luck!
Matthewkphx
Topix Regular

Re: 2016 Mosquito Reports

Post by Matthewkphx »

Thanks, Rockyroad! That's very encouraging. :)
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

JMT (TM to Duck Pass Section) 6/19-6/23

Post by Snowtrout »

6/19-6/23, JMT from TM to Duck Pass. Bugs are out and ranged from a 1-4 depending on elevation. Wind blew from Donahue to Garnet keeping the biters away but had to eat dinner in the tent at Garnet when the wind died down. Gladys lake was the worst with biters during the day in the sun. Flying black ants were also all over Gladys. Reds Meadow campground was around a 2-3. At duck pass intersection, 1-2.
Last edited by maverick on Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject matter
mountaineer
Founding Member

Mineral King 6/26-6/29

Post by mountaineer »

Mineral King trailheads to 10,500' on Sawtooth Trail to Crystal Lakes and Monarch Lakes and Timber Gap: 0
Farewell Gap Trail: 0
Had reports from people coming off the Eagle Lake/Mosquito Lakes trail that sounded like a good solid 4-5 in the meadow areas.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re:Dusy Basin 6/24-30

Post by Wandering Daisy »

2 at South Lake trailhead 6/24, 3 6/30
0-1 6/24-6/28 at most locations, all elevations. Worse at the lower lakes (10,400). Mostly moderate winds kept mosquitoes down at the lower lakes. Very few to none above 11,200 feet.

6/29-30. Afternoon to 10PM rains on 6/28 got the mosquitoes going. 2-3 at lower Treasure Lake. 1-2 Bishop Lake to Long Lake.

At the end of the trip, I had to wear a head net or go inside the tent if I were not moving. Treasure Lakes seemed to have more wet terrain that favored mosquitoes. Upper Dusy Basin lakes had sufficient winds. Not the thick swarming phase yet, but it only takes a few minutes and they find you. Not a lot of biting, but a lot of in the face annoying.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Tuolumne Meadows 6/25-6/26

Post by SSSdave »

June 25/26 Tuolumne Meadows areas, very surprising to this person, only a 2. Have been in TM same time of summer several times in more distant past and squeets were far far more numerous. There is certainly enough stagnant water about. Wondering why there were not more out? Maybe 4-year drought has reduced snow mosquito numbers? Dragonflies and damselflies were however already out in numbers eating them. Generally mosquito numbers mid-summer the last 4 drought years have been relatively low and now after a more near normal precip year they may not be numerous because low numbers of over-wintering eggs.

I hiked about 10 miles over 2 days fully covered at times except face and hands while other times only wearing ls t-shirt. Put DEET on each morning. Just had a couple bites during day on t-shirt back and maybe a couple on hands after DEET had washed off while lounging around for lunch. Will be back at TM Saturday morning so will be interesting if there is any difference.
austex
Topix Expert

Re: Piute Pass Hunphrys 6/26

Post by austex »

0-1 evenings towards 1 Pesky few bits. Picaridin for all below the pass on Bishop side.
scraperpro
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Little Blue Lake 6/28-30

Post by scraperpro »

Breeze from the lake kept them down during the day but morning and evening: 2
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular

Disappointment Lake 7/2

Post by AaronRDavis »

The 13 miles from Maxon TH to Disappointment Lake, mostly a 2 the whole way, especially near water. I felt like they weren't bothersome unless I actually stopped for more than a minute, in which they would without fail begin attacking me. I wore pants and an impervious Nylon shirt which fully protected me. The lake was about a 3. I had to wear my headnet most of the evening.