Is Lamarck Col Too Much For Us

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jawcar
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Is Lamarck Col Too Much For Us

Post by jawcar »

Thanks all for the great replies!

I will continue to research and try to prepare myself. We have a few backup plans if we decide not to take the Col. First among those is looking to be an out-and-back into Evolution Valley from Florence Lake.

Thanks again, all!
Backpackingmom
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Backpackingmom »

Hubby and I hiked out from Darwin bench over Lamarck Col a few years ago (I know its the opposite direction from your planned route.) I thought I would reply and second what another poster said - it was strenuous for me. That being said, I was about 48 years old and have Rheumatoid Arthritis and I successfully made it over the Col from Darwin Lakes. Lots of big boulders to get around and it was tough! But I survived. I was sore for days afterwords!!!! Happy Trails :)
tie
Topix Regular

Post by tie »

I went over Lamarck Col last year on July 12, and was able to stay on rock to the left of the snowfield all the way up. It did not seem strenuous or scary to me, but I was not carrying a backpack! There's a picture on my trip report here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13122&p=98461 .
jawcar
Topix Novice

Post by jawcar »

tie wrote:There's a picture on my trip report here:
Thank you very much for your reply, and I've read your trip report with interest! Actually your picture of the ridge is the one that I go back to and think, "that ice field looks steep!" It's a relief to know that you avoided it altogether. Of course the snow field will probably be different this year.

Could you (or anyone else viewing) answer a question: Where on the ridge is the Col? I've found another post putting it at the green arrow, but I wish I could know for sure in advance. It's getting over or under that hump of rock between the two arrows that scares me. So, green arrow, or red arrow, or neither!?

tie
Topix Regular

Post by tie »

The Col is the green arrow. Check out this page, it has pictures with routes drawn in: http://www.scaruffi.com/travel/evolut.html
jawcar
Topix Novice

Post by jawcar »

tie wrote:Check out this page
Thank you. That is the trail description I saw but wanted to double check.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

jawcar, I'm pretty sure the col is not the green arrow, nor is it the red arrow shown in the photo above. See my attached photo from late summer 2006 for the location of the route.

In answer to your question that started this thread: yes, by all means go for it -- your group should be up for the challenge. The route up to Lamarck Col from Upper Lamarck Lake is heavily used and there is a well defined trail most of the way. Once you locate the very good switchbacks that head up the shoulder SE of Upper Lamarck Lake and into the sandy slope of the cirque that terminates at the col, the route is easy to follow. To the left of the tarn below the snow field is a well defined rut in the snowfield. Follow it to the break in the ridge and you will see the sign marking the pass.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mike M. on Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mike has the correct area for Lamarck Col, though the red arrow is close too, the gps coordinates are 37.1904900, -118.6673300, you can see the passes location on the ridgeline compared to where the small lake is at the bottom of the screen shot taken on Google Earth.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Lamarck could use a profile in the Info Booth for anyone so inclined to do so. :)
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Post by Asolthane »

I've done the loop you refer to. I agree with sssdave, 4 days is short time. Getting to Darwin Bench in one day is too much. Darwin bench is beautiful and an area you could explore for a full day. Evolution Canyon was beautiful, but I zoomed through it when i was there in July due to swarms of mosquitos. The hike from Evolution Canyon into Humphries basin was long and hard. Humphries basin is incredible with so much to see and explore. If you do this in 4 days you will be rushing.

I recommend hiking in over Piute Pass and exploring Evolution Basin. You could easily spend a week there. You could also do a much more manageable loop from there by going over the cross country pass Carol Col and over into French Canyon and then around Pilot Knob and back into Humphries Basin.

I'm sure you will enjoy whatever you decide!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk