beta for sierra high route july 4th weekend

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Beantown
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

beta for sierra high route july 4th weekend

Post by Beantown »

I would like to section hike as much of the sierra high route this summer. I have ropers book. I was thinking of going from mammoth to tuolumne friday to Monday, dropping my ride in mammoth and taking the yarts back on the 4th (looks like it is running). Ive read thru the section in the book and marked it all in caltopo. I know its early but any beta on snow over northern glacier pass? Ive hiked back there several times but not beyond. My route would start over the pass from red's (Ive been to Nancy pass and minaret lake already so i would skip that part for now). I would bag banner (got ritter last year but not banner) so i would bring ax and crampons. Blue lake pass doesn't sound like any issues, and doesn't seem like snow would be a problem on this trek. Whats the thoughts at the water crossing of twin island lakes with the snow melt if any. The book describes it as easier than it looks, sluggish current and 3 feet deep. just that it drops off below......this is my only real concern about the trip. Ive fine with ax/crampon snow travel.

I figure 1 day to get to northern glacier pass and bag banner. 2 days for x country travel to isberg pass trail and further. 1 day to hike out to to tuolumne and catch the yarts by 4:15pm
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: beta for sierra high route july 4th weekend

Post by maverick »

Current snow levels in the Catherine Lake area: http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interactive/ ... &js=1&uc=0

After reading a recent TR from that area and looking at this map, there should be some snow at Catherine Lake, the Twin Lakes area up to Blue Lake/Blue Lake Pass. Water levels vary so it is difficult to guess what the conditions will be during the early season, with the current warm temps the run-off could be high, water levels high, going a little higher (north) than the official SHR, you should find a crossing if the usual one is to dangerous.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

You obviously have not been looking at the trailhead permit possibilities on recreation.gov. The holiday weekend is not a wise notion to belatedly try and get a permit on possibly the most popular trailhead area in the Eastern Sierra. I had been perusing the site until the Marina Fire smoke made the notion of anything about that zone a no go. There are 5 trailhead possibilities listed going north from the DP road.

High Trail
River Trail - Agnew Meadow
Shadow Creek - Agnew Meadow
Beck Lake 9 th 6 wi
JM Trail North starting at Devils Postpile

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOC ... 143453.pdf

The only one that has had a tiny quota opening for possibilities for some time is Beck Lakes. The DP JMT/PCT were filled months ago. Thus you could spend the first night at Beck Lakes and then be free to go wherever. Unfortunately after Yosemite and Inyo got together to get a handle on the upsurge in PCT/JMT traverlers, they reduced the list of available Ritter Range destinations that were on separate quotas because it was obvious some were using them not as intended just to get in on the thru trails. So Mammoth Lakes will be absolutely crawling with people on the holiday with numbers willing to fit in a backpack on ANYTHING available. Groups will line up and get bad news then ranger will suggest what remains open and many will change plans right then. And to even have any chance for something starting Friday you would need to be in LINE well before 11am on Thursday. The wiser course during the holiday period would be to try to knock off an obscure section.
Last edited by SSSdave on Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beantown
Topix Acquainted

Post by Beantown »

mav do you have a link to the trip report?

SSSdave i will get a day of walk in permit. not worried i will be first in line.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Even though it is not specifically the Catherine Lake area, it does give you an idea on what can be expected.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14566&p=108532#p108532
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org