Schmalz hikes the PCT

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Schmalz hikes the PCT

Post by Jimr »

I'll miss you by a couple of days. Too bad, it would have been fun to cross paths.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

Schmalz, great pics and info on conditions. Looks like a lot of snow has melted off in the last two weeks.

I was told this morning by a ranger that if you are a PCT through hiker, you can stay in the backpacker camp at TM. They aren't allowing jmt hikers there though :\

Missing you by a few days also. I will be at TM on Saturday.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Thanks for sharing the pics, Schmalz. Very helpful for planning. Have fun!
Hobbes wrote:
schmalz wrote:Gtx socks might have been a good idea.
Trust me, GTX socks are worthless in those conditions. Andy & I both had a pair, and while they're initially nice, once they're wetted out (not really from the snow, but the constant flowing streams across the trail, down the trail, and of course the fords), they're just big, wet, heavy weights.

I thought mine where bad, but Andy had to periodically take his off and pour water out of them - at least I could wring mine out. Seems at a certain point, the water is kept in and the air out. LOL

Next time, I would take wool socks - same effect, but better quality. I had two pairs of light syn/cotton for the hot marches through Le Conte, Woods & Kearsarge.
What brand(s)? I have a pair from Rocky that I've been using for the past three years that are still working pretty darn good in typical spring conditions (slushy snow, wet trails, and fast cold fords).
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

FeetFirst wrote:What brand(s)? I have a pair from Rocky that I've been using for the past three years that are still working pretty darn good in typical spring conditions (slushy snow, wet trails, and fast cold fords).
Those look much better than mine: https://www.amazon.com/Dexshell-DS642HL ... B019Y70IAQ

Andy had a pair of rubber like sock covers, but they also failed. We were constantly fording crotch-waist high water. It was also fast moving, which meant we were moving very deliberately & slowly across, making sure our poles were firmly grounded before taking the next step. The water was moving fast enough to make it difficult to even direct the poles to a certain spot - they would just get swept along - so you had to overcompensate by letting the poles get pushed to where you really wanted them to be before taking the next step.

So, picture a person standing in the middle of a roaring river/creek, braced against the current while stabbing with his poles to try & find a stable location, then carefully moving his legs slightly forward. Repeat as necessary until reaching the other side. Going at that careful pace, the water builds up against you, climbing/splashing even higher, just like the leading edge of a bridge. I don't know how anything could stay dry in those conditions. Maybe a chest high fishing gaiter with built in booties? LOL.

We - and it seems like everyone else - just got used to having wet feet all day. I put my shoes in a plastic bag at the bottom of my sleeping bag a few nights when the temps dropped. It didn't really dry them out, but it helped not putting on frozen shoes, which happened a couple of mornings.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Speaking of frozen shoes. I started yesterday with a 6am creek crossing and proceeded to hike with numb feet for 4 hours. Not excited for another week or so of creek crossings. They can be seriously frightening.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. Safe travels.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

schmalz wrote:Pics have been added to Calitrails Facebook. Link is in my signature. I don't think you need a Facebook account to see them.
Cross posting to the HST FB page. Awesome photos!! Can't wait for more..
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

In Reno now, still kicking. Pictures have been uploaded. I'm still dealing with snow everyday but it's less and less. I think I'm sending home my microspikes tomorrow. Mosquitoes have been extremely active for the past few days in the Tahoe area. I'll be in town for 36 hours so ask any questions you want!
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

No questions here, just happy to see you chime in. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
old and slow
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by old and slow »

Good to hear you're still kicking, what an adventure!!! Thanks for all the great pictures, looking forward to the next installment. Take care out there.