Campsite suggestions near Avalanche Pass/Sphinx Creek

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
flyzapper
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Campsite suggestions near Avalanche Pass/Sphinx Creek

Post by flyzapper »

I'm planning a backpacking trip with some friends who are somewhat to much less experienced than me, and I am looking for a campsite to break up what could be a difficult day for them.
We starting at either the Rowell Meadow or Marvin Pass trailheads, hiking through several meadows to the Roaring River Ranger Station, over Avalanche Pass, and finishing at Roads End in Kings Canyon. We are planning on taking two days to hike from Roaring River over Avalanche Pass to Roads End, and we need a place to camp to break that portion up.
The place where the trail crosses Sphinx Creek on the north side of Avalanche Pass seems like it's a good option, at 8.25 miles from Roaring River with 2,500 feet of elevation gain. Does anybody have another suggestion for a campsite with water somewhere along that stretch, maybe closer to Avalanche Pass? It would be nice to have a back up plan if the least experienced people in the group can't make it to the Sphinx Creek crossing in one day.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Campsite suggestions near Avalanche Pass/Sphinx Creek

Post by maverick »

The campsite you mentioned north of Avalanche Pass, at Sphinx Creek is a great campsite location Fly. If you need to stop earlier, there are two small lakes east of Avalanche Pass, where you can set up camp and have access to water, before that you have Moraine Meadows.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Kevbur
Topix Newbie

Post by Kevbur »

Agreed. Though I haven't been there since the early 90s, I have fond memories of that being one of the great campsites within a one day's walk from Roads End.
Kevbur
Topix Newbie

Post by Kevbur »

By the way. That last time there had us hiking up Don Cecil out of Cedar Grove, through a recent clear cut just outside of the Park, getting lost for about a day, finally finding our way over Marvin Pass and then Avalanche and out at Roads End. (With a stop at Sphinx Creek Camp) A spectacular trip with my girlfriend at the time, who I just celebrated my 25th anniversary with.
flyzapper
Topix Novice

Post by flyzapper »

Thanks for the confirmation everyone. I don't think we'll have a problem making it to the camp at the Sphinx Creek crossing, but I'll keep the small lakes that maverick mentioned in mind.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

has anyone here actually camped at moraine meadows? good/bad/indifferent?
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

since we leave this weekend, i thought i'd ask this question once more: how is the camping at morraine meadows?
it looks nice and flat and near water (still flowing in late august?).

it would be a slightly better stop for us mileage-wise than roaring river.