TR: Emigrant 6/22-6/24

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
venturefar
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Emigrant 6/22-6/24

Post by venturefar »

I headed out of Crabtree for one final tune up. I took the northern trail past Piute, Gem, Jewelry, Deer, and Buck Lakes on my way to Emigrant Lake where I camped Wednesday and Thursday nights. The mosquitoes were not too bad below Piute Lake but increased in intensity as one increased in elevation to Buck Lakes. Gem was the buggiest. The mosquitoes were not too bad at Emigrant Lake. Yet. I bet that will change in the next day or two. Creek crossings were no big deal. The deepest ford was just knee deep at Buck Meadow Creek above upper Buck Lake. The trail is free of deadfall and other obstructions thanks to the work off a CCC trail crew camped near Cherry Creek.Thank you again CCC!!! There was some small patches of snow on the trail starting east of Deer Lake and then on the way up from Upper Buck Lake to Emigrant Lake.

I fished Deer, Upper Buck, and Emigrant Lakes. I caught my best fish of the trip on the western shore of Emigrant not too far from the dam.

I really enjoy going early in the season. It seems like I get to see much more wildlife than when I go later. I saw tons of deer, plus a coyote and a bald eagle that I did not manage to get a picture of. I saw some fresh bear tracks in the snow east of Deer Lake. With the wildlife, the runoff, the emerging wildflowers, and even the bugs; the Sierra seem even more alive in spring/early summer. A great time to be outside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
@aguabonita
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Emigrant 6/22-6/24

Post by justm »

Thanks for that report. I've done that trip a few times myself. like you said ; it sure is special out there in the early spring . I was up at Hyatt lake , the week before and saw several bear scat mounds.I'm pretty sure, I saw a pine martin !! It was from a distance, so I can't be positive. Fishing was good. What pixel setting do you set your camera at, to post on this forum ? I would like to set mine at the highest possible and still be able to post them here. Thanks
venturefar
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Emigrant 6/22-6/24

Post by venturefar »

justm wrote: What pixel setting do you set your camera at, to post on this forum ?
I wish I could be more helpful but I don't know what pixel setting I'm using. I've been using my phone. I think it shoots 12 megapixels. Its a samsung s6 active.

Happy to hear you had good fishing on your trip. :thumbsup:
@aguabonita