TR: Little Kern River from Clicks Creek Trail 6/16-6/18

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerdude87
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

TR: Little Kern River from Clicks Creek Trail 6/16-6/18

Post by hikerdude87 »

Had some days off of work last week so I decided to take my gf to check out the Little Kern River via Clicks Creek Trail. I have been to this spot several times before and I've always enjoyed camping there. It takes you into the Golden Trout Wilderness from the Western Sierra. It is about 6.8 miles to the campsite with about 1800 ft of elevation lost. So it isn't too bad getting to this spot since it is all downhill but the hike back is the worst. Of course one would hope that the pack would be a little lighter from all the food that was consumed. The campsite sits at the confluence of Mountaineer Creek and the Little Kern River and actually has some semi-developed campsites. When we were there we only saw one family so it was nice to have the whole area to ourselves. Weather was great, probably 70s during the day and a cool 40s at night. Mosquitoes weren't too noticeable and were only bad at the first meadow we passed. A lot of flowers were blooming as well. Anyways here are some pics:

Unnamed meadow near the beginning of the trail.

Saw a lot of Sierra shooting star blooming

I usually come out there late in the summer so crossing Clicks Creek at this spot is normally dry.

Snowplant

California germanium

Lot of lupine blooming along the trail

Kelly's Lily along one of the crossing at Clicks Creek

Sierra Mariposa

Parts of the trail skirted along the area that was burned during the 2014 Soda Fire. We saw lot of trees partially burned at the trunk. We also saw very large holes where a tree would be but did not see any signs of the tree. I don't think I've seen that before so do the trees burn up completely or does the forest service remove those trees?

Made it to the campsite

Hiking up the Mountaineer Creek

A lot of water flowing on Alpine Creek. Hoping to catch a Little Kern Golden trout at this deep pool. Water was still pretty cold but I did jump in for a second. Later in the summer this area is a great spot to cool off.

Sierra gartersnake

Did a little bit of fishing on the Little Kern and was able to catch a couple Little Kern golden trouts. There was still strong flow from the rivers so fishing was a little difficult. But I was able to find calm sections of the river that I was able to fish.

Moonrise

Coyote Peaks

Looking forward to gaining all that elevation gain we lost from the hike in

Crossing at Clicks Creek

White veined shinleaf

Up, up, up!

Only one more mile after exiting the GTW

About 3 hours later we were back at our car and ready to head back home. We decided to take the more scenic route back home so we took the Western Divide Highway (M107). We stopped by to see the Trail of the 100 Giants and then continued on down Mountain Hwy 90 to Kernville where we got great beers at food at Kern River Brewing Company. After that it was the long trek back to LA to unpack and clean up the gear.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Little Kern River from Clicks Creek Trail 6/16-6/18

Post by gary c. »

Thanks for your report and pictures. I'm really starting to appreciate the GTW for early treks. this trip reminds a lot of a trip I still owe a report on from Memorial weekend.
Last edited by gary c. on Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Jason
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Little Kern River from Clicks Creek Trail 6/16-6/18

Post by Jason »

That looks fantastic, thanks for the report. It looks like you had some great scenery and saw a bunch of neat critters. Pretty trout!