external battery for iPhone to use Gaia GPS

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
johnwatkins
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

external battery for iPhone to use Gaia GPS

Post by johnwatkins »

Hey,

We're going on a 7 day backpacking trip (July 22-29) from Bear Creek (diversion) into Vee Lake and over to Lake Italy and back (lollypop route). I'm an experienced off trail backpacker and the rest of us four are experienced backpackers with less off-trail experience. I am an old (since the '60's) map and compass devote and have not used GPS devices much. I am intrigued by the idea of using my iPhone 6 to support some GPS use as well as be my primary camera. I am curious about people's experience with using iPhones for occasional GPS checks and whether you've used external batteries to support the power needs? Over a 7 day trip, what have been your needs, and what kind of external batteries would you recommend, if any?

Thanks,

John
Asolthane
Topix Regular

Re: external battery for iPhone to use Gaia GPS

Post by Asolthane »

For that length of trip if you leave it in airplane, don't go crazy with photos, and do only occasional spot checks, you might get it to last the whole week...but what's the point if bringing it if you can't play with it as much as you want. You can get Anker external batteries in any size for a great price on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CU1EC ... ords=Anker

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

I've got this from Anker. Might be slight overkill, but seemed like good balance of weight and # of re-charges. I intend use phone for photos + some GPS spot checks (like you) so went with it. Have only used on test hike and so far so good
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CZ ... UTF8&psc=1
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by overheadx2 »

I did the same thing for my 5s. Used it for Gaia, pics and music. Lasted 2 days per charge with quite a bit of use. I put it in my bag at night to help the battery life. At seven days you might be kind of tight with the 5k mAh.
johnwatkins
Topix Newbie

Post by johnwatkins »

Thanks, all, for the advice! I downloaded Gaia GPS and am experimenting with it, and ordered an Anker 10K battery.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

We bought a Anker 6400mah battery after reading about it in a Backerpacker Mag gear guide. Weighs less than 5oz and we can get 3 to 3 1/2 full charges with a iPhone 5C. Been great so far.