Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by Shawn »

rhyang wrote:Hey there -- my name is Rob, and I've lived in Silicon Valley for almost 20 years, and visiting the Sierra since then. I used to do a lot of climbing and mountaineering, but age and injuries have curtailed a lot of that, plus my job has been taking up way more of my time in recent years. I started tenkara fishing in the Emigrant Wilderness in July 2014 and the next year started with a "western" fly rod, which has become something of an obsession. I also spin fish on occasion, usually for bass in the local lakes and ponds, or for various surf species in the Monterey Bay (still working on my fly fishing setup for the surf).

This past winter I had surgery to my esophagus (it was a complication related to spinal surgery I had in 2007 after an auto wreck) and spent almost five months with a gastrostomy feeding tube. Wow, that was an eye opener. But I still managed to get out on dayhikes. I got my tube out a couple weeks ago and did my first backpack trip since surgery over Memorial weekend at Henry Coe State Park, fly fishing for bass and sunfish.

May I ask a question of those folks who get up to Orygun : I used to live in Portland for a few years back in the 90's but did not fish at the time. My sister's family moved up there last year and I was thinking of visiting and also throwing in a quick fly-fishing trip, maybe with some backpacking. Any ideas for a nice overnight ? Do alpine lakes in the Cascades have trout like the Sierra ?

Cheers and thanks in advance :)
Hey Rob - Great to see you on HST. I had really enjoyed your past TR's and photos on the web (e.g. SP). Cheers.
rhyang
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by rhyang »

Shawn wrote:Hey Rob - Great to see you on HST. I had really enjoyed your past TR's and photos on the web (e.g. SP). Cheers.
Hi Shawn, hope you are well !

btw I did find an answer to my question, in case anyone was wondering something similar. Just had to do a bit more googling :) Found this on amazon :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1932098860/

I should bring my saltwater gear and fish for redtail surfperch while I'm up there too ! I've only caught the barred species down here, and a couple of silver / calico surfperch near Cambria over the holidays.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi,
I found you via Google. I am very glad that I did. I am happy to be a new member and promise to always give trail reports...Though I am not nearly as adventurous or experienced as most of you.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Aura,

Welcome to HST! We enjoy all TR's to the Sierra and beyond here at HST. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Phiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Phiker »

Hi all,
I've been following HST for a couple of years now for advice and trip reports. I decided to finally join after years of stalking the forum.
I hope to contribute some valuable info throughout the hiking/backpacking season this year.
I have a few backpacking trips in the Sierra already planned out for this summer, starting with an overnight on Whitney next week.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Phikner,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to your TR and or condition report. Thanks

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
michaelgrosse
Topix Novice

Post by michaelgrosse »

Hello, Michael here, father to keegan and we have been getting out on various types of trip since 2008 or so. We are in Sacramento. Not sure how long I have lurked or signed up for the site, there will be periods of time that I go without looking at the site, but as of late, trying to gleam information more often.

I reside in Sacramento and we, permutations of myself, son and my GF, try to get out as often as we can, sometimes that means a couple of weekends in a row, sometimes every other month, but I love getting out, walking, fishing, experiencing the outdoors. Since this site is more specific to the Sierra's, I will just note that I lack winter skills and during that time, I will be at Point Reyes, the foothills, Cache Wilderness...

We are leaving in about 6 hours for a trip likely as not to Golden Trout Wilderness, so maybe one of the folks on this board will be out...say hello to a stranger, the tall blond one fishing for the state fish.

Prime interests when outdoors are the fishing, walking and more walking, being outside and sleeping under the stars, and there is no particular order or preference to the preceding.

michael
bstone
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by bstone »

Hi. I am Ben. I grew up in Fairbanks, AK and moved to Reno in 2002 to study wildlife ecology at UNR and fell in love with the Sierra and some less traveled mountain ranges in Nevada. This site is a great resource so I figured I would try to contribute. Got a few good trips planned this summer... really looking forward to 6 days in the Pine creek pass area starting July 6th!

Here are some pics from previous adventures!

Enjoying a drink with my old man just below Haeckel-Wallace col (via North lake - Lamarck col - JMT) after a long day.
100_1786.JPG
One of my favorite weekend getaway spots in the Sierra with the family!
P1020016rs.jpg
Just dropped off by a beaver in the foothills of the Brooks range... getting ready for 3 weeks on the Kobuk river in NW AK
WalkerLake_Dropoff_Packed_Boat_Ben.JPG
Little brookies in the Rawah wilderness in CO
100_1187.jpg
Just engaged (now wife) reeling em in in the Ruby Mts in E. NV
dscn0455.jpg
dscn0459.jpg
Goose camp on the Y-K delta, Western AK
Tut '04 077.jpg
Tut '04 235.jpg
Tut '04 204.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Ben,

Welcome to HST! Love the intro with the photo's! :thumbsup:
We would enjoy reading about your Alaska adventures too, in our "Beyond The Sierra Nevada" section. :nod:

benzom
Topix Newbie

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

Post by benzom »

Hi all, I stumbled upon you while on the "tap talk" app. I have lived in CA my whole life. I grew up in Fresno and now I live in the bay area. Three years ago, my friend invited me to go backpacking in Yosemite. I had never been there before.
I found a pack on Craigslist and my wife scored a bunch of high end equipment (tent, sleeping bag trekking poles) at the salvation army for $40. After that first trip (climbed Half Dome) I was hooked.
I started gathering gear for my teenage boys. Last year we took two backpacking trips, both to Yosemite and we climbed Half Dome together.
Backpacking has given us great memories and lots of quality time together. I am not opposed to going outside of Yosemite, but at the same time there is so much I want to see there. So here I am planning my summer, two more trips to Yosemite for sure and maybe a third in early fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk