4 day SEKI, too much?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
mursey
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

4 day SEKI, too much?

Post by mursey »

I was planning a SEKI loop last year from Road's End - > Bubbs Creek -> Lake Reflection -> Brewer Lake -> Sphynx Creek -> back (see attached). Included was a Brewer summit day.

How would this route look for 4 days without the Summit? We are pretty set on SEKI, as I'm the only one in the group who has been there. All experienced backpackers with moderate off-trail experience. Mid August.
Proposed route.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 4 day SEKI, too much?

Post by maverick »

How would this route look for 4 days without the Summit?
Is that 4 days or nights, your map indicates 4 campsites?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mursey
Topix Acquainted

Post by mursey »

Sorry, that's my old route. I was thinking of cutting out the last purple day ("8/29") completely.

It'll be 4 nights, 4 days, including car camping around the park before the first day.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

So you are contemplating Junction Meadow, Lake Reflection, and Big Brewer Lake as your overnight stays, and then hike out from Big Brewer to Roads End? That would be to long of a day, if you were going from Sphinx Lakes and Sphinx Pass was not included, then it would be doable, could be punishing for folks with tender knees, but certainly doable.
Would recommend keeping your 4th night, and stay at one of the lower Sphinx Lakes.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

I did your exact route a few years ago in the counterclockwise direction, including summiting Mr Brewer. We took 5 days (actually 4.5 days) to do the trip without turning it in to a death march. If you want to do the trip in 4 days I suggest you cut out Brewer, or cut down the size of the loop by ascending Brewer via Ouzel Creek, as Bill Finch did (see http://www.sierrahiker.com/MtBrewer/index.htm). Of course Bill did it in 3 days. :nod:
canyonfish
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by canyonfish »

I also did this route in reverse in July 2014, but with a layover day 4 hike over the Kern-Kings Divide. Day 1 was fairly tame, hiked into the "twin" Sphinx lakes and camped. Second day was the toughest day, as off trail at high altitude usually is. The southern pass after Cinder Col (can't read it on the map and can't recall the name off hand) was a bit tough. Had to maneuver between snow field and rocks on the east side. We actually lowered packs in one section. If the snow field was smaller (as it should be in August) it may have been easier. It also would be easier doing it east to west as you propose. We were all pretty beat and camped at the lake above Reflection on night 2. Day 3 we walked a short ways to Reflection and set up camp early, swam and lounged around. Perfect summer time alpine lake. Day 4 we broke camp, hiked to the outlet of Reflection, dropped packs and headed toward Millie's Footpass. We fished a bit on the Kern side of the divide, then looped back via Lucy's Footpass to the outlet of Reflection, loaded packs (amidst one of the worst mosquito swarms I've ever experienced) and headed down to East where we camped night 4. It was dark by the time we made camp. Day 5 out from East was quick, nice swim at Muir Rock followed by burgers and IPA's. Spectacular trip.

Bottom line, if you are fit I think it could be done in 4 days. They would be 4 long days though.
mursey
Topix Acquainted

Post by mursey »

Thank you for the feedback. It sounds like I've been a bit too ambitious for my whole group. I am pretty set on Road's End, for permit reasons... haha.

I was thinking of trying Vidette Canyon instead. I made a little caltopo and attached a screenshot below. This route look more reasonable for days 1-2, with one big push at the end which, being downhill, I think they could handle.

How realistic is day 3, though? Caltopo says 6 miles more or less, but some trip reports I have perused have people camping closer to Deerhorn after finishing Vidette Canyon. My group's fitness level is excellent for the most part.

Camp 1 would fall on a weeknight, which would be less crowded. I'd appreciate any advice on tweaks to the route, or specific campsites or sites to see. Thanks again.
New route.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Your new route, distance wise, is doable, but Deerhorn Saddle is a solid class 2, so your rating of your group as "moderate off-trail experience" will be a judgement call left up to you whether you should proceeding as the groups leader.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7729&p=55735&hilit=Deerhorn#p55735

mursey
Topix Acquainted

Post by mursey »

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Miserable
Haha! Same group that did Mt. Conness without difficulty last year. Might just do Rae Lakes Loop.

Thanks, Maverick.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Whichever trip you do decide to do, please write up a TR. :)