Gardiner to Arrow

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Coops
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Gardiner to Arrow

Post by Coops »

I'm trip planning for a loop that will include Gardiner Basin, Arrow Peak/Bench Lake, Cartridge Pass, Dumbell, Amphitheater, and out the JMT. I've been through most of the area except for Gardiner and Arrow. King Col has received very low marks on these threads despite Secor's class 2 rating. Does anyone have any other routes for getting down to Woods Creek, say the basin to the south of where King Col lies? I'm thinking of going up the "Window Creek"/Arrow Pass route on the other side, but getting down to Woods Creek...not so sure. Bail out option would be to backtrack to 60 Lakes Basin and out to Arrowhead Lake. Any advice from folks who've been through that basin or King Col would be much appreciated.
Coops
Topix Acquainted

Re: Gardiner to Arrow

Post by Coops »

Sorry, meant the drainage to the WEST of King Col, not the south
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Coops,

One of these two King Col alternatives may work for you, they look doable, and less difficult than King Col. King Col should be rated class 2.5 or 3, not a 2.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Coops
Topix Acquainted

Post by Coops »

Thanks Maverick. I see that Skurka has put a lot of information out there about this very route which won't take the fun out it but...I'm not sure I'm excited about another designated high route, but then again, Roper's was fantastic, so who's one to say another won't add to the Sierra experience. Trip planning is half the fun, so I will not be purchasing that guide book. I think I'll give King Col a shot and then up to Arrow Pass since I want to summit Arrow Peak. The climb up from Woods to White Fork Pass looks easier, but since I want to go up Arrow, I'll torcher myself in that burn area up to Arrow Creek basin.
Headed for this route in late July, starting out from Kearsarge. I will try and pay it back with a TR per your request. Thanks for keeping up the site!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Coops,

There is an alternative route to get into Arrow Basin, one not often used, by following a creek up to the shoulder of Pyramid Peak, steep to start but gets better as you ascend, just don't follow the creek to closely, there are small cliffs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Coops
Topix Acquainted

Post by Coops »

yep, that's the one I had in mind. Based on Rogue's description, the way you have it drawn looks like the best option...stay east of the creek. Thanks again.