Where to stay - waiting for JMT walk up permit at Tuolumne?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kbc0903
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Where to stay - waiting for JMT walk up permit at Tuolumne?

Post by kbc0903 »

I will go to JMT. and I’m going to starting at Tuolumne meadows.

Arriving time/date at Tuolumne meadows is 18:30 july 1.

My problem is bpcamp at Tuolumne meadows does not open july 1.
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
open is Jul 15-Sep 26

I should waiting in line for walk-up permit.
Where to stay in my case?

please help me.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Where to stay - waiting for JMT walk up permit at Tuolum

Post by markskor »

Not certain that your opening date for TM is accurate...expect sooner. They are just waiting for the water to be turned on. Right now, that's ~ June 14th...ready for Obama next week!
FYI, I had opportunity to visit TM on Friday (came up from the Valley) and gave a ride to another potential JMT hiker trying to obtain a thru permit...was attempting to start his JMT from TM. BTW, the Valley permit office had told him TM permit was open till 5:00 PM...not so. We got there 4:20 and a sign on the door said closed at 4:00.
Some confusion as to whether they allow you to stay backpacker camp but... he set up his tent right at the wilderness office - right at the "line starts here" sign. He was first in line for tomorrow...got his permit!
Mountainman who swims with trout
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

If the campground isn't open, I am pretty sure you can get your walk up permit it TM same day and get going. In fact, even when it's open, if you are at the ranger station early enough and not on a weekend, it has never been a problem for me to get multiple permits.

I haven't hiked up Lyell Canyon in recent years as I prefer Mono Pass and Koip Peak Pass as my route towards the 1000 Island Lake region, and for that trailhead you should be able to get an overnight permit any time of day early in the season. This season's snow levels could make the Koip route more difficult/dangerous, though.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

I'm going through this right now. My jmt permit is for June 19 and planned to stay at tuolumne meadows backpacker camp on the 18th to acclimate. Rangers have told me TM campground and backpackers camp are closed because the water is not turned on. That means jmt and pct campers cannot stay in TM (right now there is a 8 mile radius of no camping around TM). The options I have are try to stay at TM Lodge (opening on June 17 but already booked), camp at Yosemite creek (open but the hiker bus schedule is still a work in progress), stay down in lee vining and take yarts back into park or drive up early.

Markskor, you heard that TM opens on the 14th?? No ranger has said anything like that in the many times I have called. If you are right (hope you are) I will be one happy camper :nod:
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Snowtrout wrote:Markskor, you heard that TM opens on the 14th?? No ranger has said anything like that in the many times I have called. If you are right (hope you are) I will be one happy camper
I'll proxy for Mark as I talked to him on Saturday. The water was indeed not on for the opening of the TM store/backpackers camp, which was supposed to be 6/10. As he'll be working there, they told him to be there on Monday (6/13) to start. My guess is that's when the water starts flowing.

He might be up there today in prep, setting up his camp.

I like to stay at the Tioga Campground off of 120 at Tioga Lake the day before entry. Yes, it's at least $17, but it works for me as I now like to come in Eastside even though I live in Petaluma. I do not like driving up 120 from the West anymore. The drive near Lake Tahoe and then down 395 and up 120 is much more pleasant than the central valley heat.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

Rlown, thank you for the info. The lady I talked to this morning did say the wilderness center and store were open up there and the grill was still closed. If Markskor is working at the store starting Monday, maybe the info I was given about the store being open today was premature.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Store and PO open - slightly shorter hours. As the water not yet on in TM (testing still), the grill cannot operate. The main campground is still a bit wet too, and closed...Lodge closed too.
Aramark will not allow any new employees (me?) to be housed in TM until water is turned on...it's a toilet thing. I completed the hiring process Valley, got my uniform and official Yos photo ID card, but when I drove up to TM on Friday as directed, was told cannot stay - either to go back Valley and be housed in a dorm (gag me), or go back to Mammoth and wait. Mammoth was closer. Got a group letter from the Valley HR saying to come on the 14th, I am planning to go back to TM then...packed and ready - tomorrow but...with the rain, right now just waiting on confirmation.

Talked with a Ranger TM; he said that after the water is turned on, they will allow thru hikers only (JMT/PCT permits in hand) to stay over in the BPers camp.
Stay tuned...About to all open up, eventually. :D
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Can we get a photo of you in uniform, Mark? :D
—B²
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

Markskor, thank you for the info. It sounds like plans are changing or happening quickly. I will keep calling daily for the most up to date info. Hopefully I didn't hijack this thread too much since I am in the same situation.

For the OP, as you can see from the posts, options are changing. If TM campground is not open, one can camp east of the park or stay in lee vining, June or mammoth and take a bus in. Other options are to camp in open campgrounds in the valley or along Tioga road and ride a bus into the trailhead. Best suggestion is to keep calling Yosemite and asking rangers for the latest.
kbc0903
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by kbc0903 »

thank you for everyone!