Help With Food Stash Re-Supply for JMT trip

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Clown Shoes
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Help With Food Stash Re-Supply for JMT trip

Post by Clown Shoes »

Hi folks, Im enjoying HST quite a bit! I have a question regarding bear storage boxes, etc. in the Le Conte Canyon area or going north.
I have nephews that are going south to north on the JMT starting at Horseshoe meadows. Just wondering if there are any viable options
other than the usual "Mail to" stops. Im going up to the Dusy Basin in early July and was thinking I could take a re-supply for them but
noticed no storage past Woods Creek area. Are there any viable places to leave them a re-supply other than having them walk out over Bishop pass
Thanks folks
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Help With Food Stash Re-Supply for JMT trip

Post by AlmostThere »

Perhaps a sticky dealing with this is in order, as there have been a number of such threads recently?

Your options for resupply between Muir Trail Ranch and Horseshoe are extremely limited, yes. You can have someone hike in with a resupply, or hire a packer to do it, but either option the hiker needs to meet with the resupplier - stashing a resupply in the backcountry is illegal, whether in a locker or a canister.

I'd recommend a Bearikade Expedition and some careful meal planning, and a fishing rod, if hiking out to a resupply point is not desirable.
Clown Shoes
Topix Novice

Post by Clown Shoes »

Im not sure what stick dealing means, I actually posted , not knowing there were other posts regarding this.I wasn't looking to stash food. I was just wondering if I missed info on other bear
storage boxes further north from Woods creek, but I didn't know that stashing a re-supply in a bear box was illegal either, so thanks for that.
Last edited by Clown Shoes on Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

There are bear lockers all up and down the JMT. BUt you are saying you want to put a resupply in one, which is illegal.
Clown Shoes
Topix Novice

Post by Clown Shoes »

Yes, having never to have to have a re-supply, I didn't know ,thanks
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

"sticky dealing with this" means a sticky thread that stays on top of the sub-forum so it may be seen right away. I suppose it would outline options and legalities regarding resupplies.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

If someone wants to write one up I'll sticky it.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix