conditions on Copper Creek trail

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
paulryan
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

conditions on Copper Creek trail

Post by paulryan »

I am planning to do the Copper Creek trail up to Granite Basin and Horseshoe lakes in Kings Canyon in a weeks time. I called the wilderness office in Kings Canyon, but they could not give me any specific information on the current conditions. Would anybody know at what level I may expect snow? Would the granite pass be passable this early in the season? Thanks!
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: conditions on Copper Creek trail

Post by seanr »

Based on recent weather, the State Lakes snow sensor, and on pictures from a peakbagger who was up on Kennedy Mountain last weekend, I'd expect snow to be sparse at trail level. Maybe plan to hit the pass mid morning in case there is snow that could be slick early morning and mushy late afternoon. I'm supposed to be doing a weekend fastpacking/peakbagging trip up there to the peaks and lakes surrounding the pass, but had to cancel due to an injury sustained around the house. Given storms this weekend, that may have been a blessing in disguise. As of this morning, my buddy claimed he was still going, so I'll update what he finds if he indeed gets to the pass area.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Would expect snow on the northern side of the pass, and some snow, at least patchy, including some flooded sections in the Horse Lakes (10500ft) area.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
paulryan
Topix Novice

Post by paulryan »

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Would be very interested to hear what your buddy (if he is going) will find.
seanr wrote:Based on recent weather, the State Lakes snow sensor, and on pictures from a peakbagger who was up on Kennedy Mountain last weekend, I'd expect snow to be sparse at trail level. Maybe plan to hit the pass mid morning in case there is snow that could be slick early morning and mushy late afternoon. I'm supposed to be doing a weekend fastpacking/peakbagging trip up there to the peaks and lakes surrounding the pass, but had to cancel due to an injury sustained around the house. Given storms this weekend, that may have been a blessing in disguise. As of this morning, my buddy claimed he was still going, so I'll update what he finds if he indeed gets to the pass area.

paulryan
Topix Novice

Post by paulryan »

Thanks for the info.
maverick wrote:Would expect snow on the northern side of the pass, and some snow, at least patchy, including some flooded sections in the Horse Lakes (10500ft) area.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

seanr wrote:... and on pictures from a peakbagger who was up on Kennedy Mountain last weekend
Hi Sean,

Were those posted on a forum somewhere? I am also thinking about heading up that way this weekend and would love to get a look at the area.

Conditions sound promising, though!

Thanks!
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

Mount Harrington & Kennedy Mountain via Lewis Creek Trail June 6-7:

https://tommey.smugmug.com/2016/SPS2016 ... nnedy-Mtn/
ExploreABitMore wrote:
seanr wrote:... and on pictures from a peakbagger who was up on Kennedy Mountain last weekend
Hi Sean,

Were those posted on a forum somewhere? I am also thinking about heading up that way this weekend and would love to get a look at the area.

Conditions sound promising, though!

Thanks!

I won't have any further updates on Monarch Divide/Copper Creek until I go there myself (my friend opted for Tahoe last weekend).

ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

Thanks! Looks good out there.

If I go, I'll try and post back updates too. Unfortunately, I may have tweaked my ankle stretching, so my trip is also up in the air now!
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

When are you planning to go?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

maverick wrote:When are you planning to go?
Not sure if I'm the one being asked, but in case I see any of y'all around there, I'm looking at possibly being out 2 nights in a few days. Otherwise, I'm looking at several 3-5 night windows in July and too many ideas.